Topic: Recording with UFX onto flash drive, says "no media" despite fat 32

Hi, I'm having trouble recording with UFX. I have a functional memory stick, formatted with disk utility (mac osx 10.7.3), tried both MS-DOS (FAT) and ExFat. Both ways the UFX says "no media." What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

AD

Macbook Pro i7, 8GB Ram, Fireface UFX, Logic 9, Mainstage2, Ableton Studio 8

Re: Recording with UFX onto flash drive, says "no media" despite fat 32

You have to use FAT32 and also select the "MBR" option in Disk Utility.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I don't see either of those specific options listed in Disk Utility. I'm running 10.7.3. Where might they be? Any idea? I'm just clicking the erase tab and them reformatting with MS-DOS Fat. Not working as far as the UFX can tell.

Yeah, I've tried to get this working again and again. Doesn't seem to matter which memory stick I used, I format to MS-Dos Fat and the UFX just won't recognize it. Jeff, you have any ideas? Anybody? Think there is something wrong with my UFX?

did you make sure that you have the (Enable Rec/play) option set to ON on the UFX menu? (press METERS button and turn knob 1 to the right to get there).

FF UFX - ARC - U87Ai - 828Mk3 Hybrid - Digimax FS - Tascam MH8 - MIDI Express 128, 24GB RAM, i7-3630

Michael A, you got it! It was not set to on. I usually check for things like that before I post. LOL. I have to say thought, don't you think they might put that in the manual like kinda towards the beginning of the the chapter on recording? Like.... um... step one maybe?

Thanks so much for your help. I don't think my thumb drives could have taken much more reformatting.

This option is on by default. Also, when plugging in a stick nothing will happen (with 'on' it jumps to the record screen automatically). That is quite different from your description that it recognizes the stick but signals 'Media Error'. How did you do that?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

This option is on by default. Also, when plugging in a stick nothing will happen (with 'on' it jumps to the record screen automatically). That is quite different from your description that it recognizes the stick but signals 'Media Error'. How did you do that?

He didn't say that it says media error, but (no media) instead.

FF UFX - ARC - U87Ai - 828Mk3 Hybrid - Digimax FS - Tascam MH8 - MIDI Express 128, 24GB RAM, i7-3630

Correct, I need new glasses...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME