Topic: Vista 64 - skipping audio - MADI HDSP PCI

Just installed Vista Ultimate 64 on a second drive to give it a try with Cubase.
Downloaded the latest RME drivers (3.05), unfortunately I have no luck. The audio skips/cuts out approx twice a second at a steady rhythm. tic-tic-tic-tic...

Even when I go to control panels>sound>MADI (1+2)>properties>advanced>test I get the same cutouts.

I have system sounds set to off and windows anyway set to the internal AC97, which I disabled too see if it helps too.

This is very frustrating. Any idea?

My XP installation works flawless with the same drivers and settings.

I have a Magma expansion chassis, with 2x UAD-1 in it but the RME sits on the main mobo and not in the chassis.

I also tried it with no chassis connected. no luck...

All I changed in Vista is setting Best Performance to Background Services. Is there anything else I don't know?

thanks,

Steve

Cubase SX 4.0.3 | 2x Dual Core Opteron 270 | SuperMicro H8DCE | 12GB ECC REG DDR400 RAM | Raptor 150GB SATA-II drives | ATI X1900 XTX PCIe | Magma 7-slot chassis | 2x UAD-1 | RME HDSP MADI PCI| Vista Ultimate 64

Re: Vista 64 - skipping audio - MADI HDSP PCI

Hi mate,

You may want to look through the threads I have posted regarding Vista 64. My problem "seemed" to be related to nVidia drivers. I also think that disabling ATI's "AI" service has a similar effect.

Phil Pendlebury - www.pendlebury.biz / www.meap.biz

3 (edited by speedbird 2007-07-17 11:47:37)

Phil, thanks for the tip!

First I couldn't find anything ATI in the startup window, but when looking closer I found something called "StartCCC" that said in the column "Command" "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\..."

I have no idea what it is or does, but when I disabled it everything was working perfect!

RME you really should look into that what's causing that trouble. I have no idea...

cheers,

Steve

That's great news Steve. I hope now RME themselves will make some sense of this.

Still not everything is golden. The audio still breaks up every couple of minutes in Cubase for 5-20 sec then it works again.

Man, it's gonna be a long & hard journey before we get Vista 64 working!

I think I come back when Cubase/Nuendo are 64 bit which should be soon. Don't want to install everything and then the VST folder is somewhere else etc. (not in x86 directory)

Back to XP for now...

6 (edited by Phi Pendlebury 2007-07-17 16:17:01)

The main 32 bit folder will still be the x86 one in Cubase 64 bit so don't worry. There will be a VST folder for 64 bit plugins but that won't affect anything you have already installed.... So I have heard.:cool:

did you ever get to the bottom of this?
Just installed an HDSPe madi dual boot Xp32 and Vista64, XP32 is fine (although I get no midi - see my other thread) but Vista64 audio is skipping and garbled...
Not looked at video drivers yet...

Ian

Hi,

maybe this Vista tip is worth a try
http://mtippach.proboards40.com/index.c … 1187205707

regards S-EH

Hmm, 818 reads but not a single positive reply...but it's worth a try, as it seems to be a similar fix as the one for Centrino laptops (disable changing the CPU speed by setting it to full performance/desktop mode).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by speedbird 2007-10-12 08:56:27)

Ian Livingstone wrote:

did you ever get to the bottom of this?
Just installed an HDSPe madi dual boot Xp32 and Vista64, XP32 is fine (although I get no midi - see my other thread) but Vista64 audio is skipping and garbled...
Not looked at video drivers yet...

Ian

No. I just gave up and I'm back to XP.

I wanted to wait until Nuendo 4 (64bit) was out. I'm just busy with moving houses from Spain to the UK, but once I'm back and up & running again (could be a while sad ) I will give it another try.

Steve

tried that tweak but no improvement.

Checked the firmware, was the latest 210

Getting a helicopter sound just going into Nuendo3, and then blue screens within a minute or so.
Nuendo4 arrived this morning not installed it yet, but also getting blue screens in Sound Forge 9 (using both asio and wdm) and no sound at all there.

All fine on my Windows XP partition (this is a dual boot) so must be a driver issue...

Ian

Matthias - hi - am I right to assume this is a driver issue, and if so will this be addressed soon?

Cheers,
Ian

The HDSPe MADI works under Vista 64 on our test system. No BSODs. And without the error showing up here we will not find out what is going wrong on your system.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK I've got rid of the BSODS by disabling the motherboard on-board sound from the bios, which has also sorted out my midi problems and complaints of SoundMax driver disabled when the RME card is installed.

BUT still getting the helicoptor noise (white noise panning left and right about 240bpm) with any app that uses ASIO with Vista64 so for now I'm stuck with XP32.

My system is:-

Asus P5K-E/WIFI-AP Intel P35 LGA775,
Intel CPU Core 2 Quad Q6700 Quad Core 2.67GHz 1066FSB LGA775 8MB cache
8gb Ram = Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 PC2-6400C5 TwinX (2x2GB) x 2
Leadtek GeForce 8600 GT Extreme 256MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (driver version 163.69)  (in PCIEX16 slot2)
RME Madi HDSPe (driver version 3.0.5.3)  (in PCIEX16 slot1)
UAD1e  (driver 4.8.0.0)
UAD1   (driver 4.8.0.0)

Any further ideas?

Ian

bump

Hi

Have the same Problem on my mchine and asked RME Support about it. I had a ticket a Microsoft and they said its related to the driver. We tried to MS Hotfixes but they did not solve the problem.

I still have skips in any audio playback or a constant tone thats is rely anoying

The funny thing is that I have the same problem running Windows XP 64

I hope RME is doing somthing about it. I am realy looking foward using a 64 Bit System since I have bought 6GB of RAM

here my configuration

>
> Windows XP 64 Professional Service Pack2 bzw.
> Windows Vista Business 64 mit den Audio Hotfixes KB930883 KB933262
> Mainborad: ASUS DSBV-DX
> 2x Xeon 5030 2,66GHz
> 6 GB FBDIMM
> 2x On Board Intel Pro 1000EB Netzwerkkarten Nvidia Geforce FX 5200
> no additional soundcards
> Playback in (Windows Sounds, Mediaplayer, Cubase 4)

If anyone could help I realy need this thing going on

17 (edited by Ian Livingstone 2007-10-31 14:55:04)

MC wrote:

The HDSPe MADI works under Vista 64 on our test system. No BSODs. And without the error showing up here we will not find out what is going wrong on your system.

Mathias - hi - any more thoughts on this?  It would be good to at least know RME are looking into it...

On a dual boot where the itentical hardware is working great on XP32 it seems only logical to me that this is an RME driver issue with Vista64.  I have given you my exact hardware spec above - is there anything else you would like to know?

btw - I'm still getting BSODs in V64 - where are these logged so I can report the specific error message to you?

Thanks,
Ian

bump

I think the BSODs have nothing to do with the RME Drivers. I do not get any BSODs

bunp for Matthias

Sucess!!!  Problem sorted with the new 3055 driver - many thanks Matthias / Daniel et all for the private email replies regarding this.

Turns out it was a problem with >3gb ram with the HDSPe 

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 6859#p6859

Ian

with 279 Driver it seems to be working better now. Still checking stability. I got some rare errors in the Fireface settings and some cuts in audio playback. But gernerally it works fine now