1 (edited by bsfreq 2012-03-01 23:27:35)

Topic: A little assistance with TMFX (UFX) needed

-I just bought a peterson strobosoft tuner-software to easily tune all my connected instruments without having to swich cables.

-I'm routing all my instruments to a single stereo channel using a submix and the loopback function - for easy looping with ableton live.

For now I'm using that very same input for tuning my instruments with strobosoft.
But I would like to be able to tune also while having my instruments on mute. In between songs, or even quickly when a song is looping, without having to make people listen to the instrument being tuned.

At first I tried simply copying the mix to another submix for tuning, (I could easily mute the listening output via midi by sending appropriate level values) but I'm using TMFX mostly on trim mode, so the levels in the tuner mix change also - and levels in tuner mix effect the trim levels too, - that I don't want.

Then I thought I might be able to do it with the reverb sends with reverb being off. (I don't need the tmfx reverb in my setup) But TMFX doesn't send the dry signal to FX out, so this didn't work either. 

Last thing I tried was using the cue. I assigned phones 3 to output 5-6, then assigned the cue to phones 3, and enabled the loopback from phones 3 to get the audio to tuner software on inputs 5-6.
This works, but when I mute the AES output (that's the mix with the cue button active) it also mutes my loopback on input 5-6. Is this intentional? Afterall the phones 3 (5-6) output in TMFX still keeps showing (probably sending too) the signal as it should.

I haven't used the cue function with loopback before, so is this the way it should behave? And if yes, can you think of any other way for me to achieve this?
(I could use an adat cable to loop back the cued signal, but only adats 1-4 seem to be available for cueing and they are already in use.)

Thanks again for help!

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Re: A little assistance with TMFX (UFX) needed

1. You seemed to have missed that Mute can be global or local. See manual about Group mutes.

2. Of course the dry signal is there as well. Use Echo without feedback and set it to the lowest delay time - presto.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by bsfreq 2012-03-05 17:33:12)

MC wrote:

1. You seemed to have missed that Mute can be global or local. See manual about Group mutes.

Indeed, I forgot the mute groups. This would be the perfect solution if I could access the mute groups with midi, but at least for now I can't. So this also is not an option for me.

MC wrote:

2. Of course the dry signal is there as well. Use Echo without feedback and set it to the lowest delay time - presto.

This works, but not too well. For some reason the tuner feels a lot less responsive, even with the delay time set down to 0.10.

Still wondering the permanently activated cue.. Muting the signal on cued submix does seem to mute it from the cue output as well. But for some reason the level meters still jump on my cue output - phones 3 - in TMFX. (not on the front panel of UFX though, I tried it with loopback cable and cue output set to adat 1-2) That's why at first I thought there might be something going out as well..

Also I thought that with cue you could adjust the signal level independently. But dropping the volume of aes output also turns it down on cue output - adat 1-2. I could have gone around the mute function by controlling the volume of aes output via midi, but dropping the cued submix's volume to zero has the same effect to cue output as the mute button. Is this the way it's supposed to be?

-----------------------------

EDIT: (reply to self)
Got around the problem by..
1 - cueing the monitoring mix and enabling loopback for the cue out to get the signal back to tuner,
2 - looping the monitormix back to TMFX with aes/ebu cable.
3 - freeing a mackie control channel (by now controlling one stereochannel with basic midi)
4 - setting up the free mackie control channel to control the monitormix input. And with that I got the midi controllable MUTE function I needed for the monitor mix.
That's it. Tuning works like a charm now. :-)

I was wondering.. would it be technically possible to allow the the dry signal from fx sends to go all the way to fx out when reverb and echo are both turned off?
This would add a bit more flexibility to the mixer in some situations. Or do you want the signal to be muted to keep things simple?