1 (edited by Offcenter2005 2012-03-08 04:21:10)

Topic: helphooking up raydat with two behringer ada8000s

This is my first build using ada converters and the raydat. Can someone help me with the set up. I am using two behringer ada8000s and the raydat. My question is how i am supposed to wire these to the raydat and which should be the slave and master? Any other info you need i can post. Thank you very much.

Re: helphooking up raydat with two behringer ada8000s

I know this is probably not that difficult but i have never used adat or converters,please help if possible.

3 (edited by Offcenter2005 2012-03-11 02:51:34)

Can someone please give some help. I sent the optical chords from the first set of I/O on the raydat which i hooked up to my I/Os on the 1st behringer ada8000. Then I hooked up the chords from the second set of I/Os on the raydat main card and hooked those up to my second behringer ada8000. I ran the 1 and 2 outputs of the second behringer to my monitoring system. Is that the right way to run this? Please help i need to get this running in top shape soon .Thank you very much.

I'd probably set the "Primary" Behringer as the Wordclock Master.  Set the RayDat to sync to ADAT #1 Input.  Then, set the second Behringer to sync to its ADAT Input.  Behringer #1 then specifies the frequency for the entire system.

You can also have the RayDat act as the Wordclock Master, and set both Behringers to sync to ADAT Input.  If you do it this way, your Audio Software will be able to change the RayDat's sample rate and the Behringer converters should follow along (limited to 44.1k or 48k, no 88/96k on those ADA8000's that I recall).

Beware that there are reports of flakey ADAT Clocking on some ADA8000's (seems like I read about one once every week from somewhere!).  Trying different master/slave setups until you find which one is the most solid in your setup is probably the best action when dealing with gear of unknown stability IMO...

As far as how you should configure the 16 Channels of analog I/O in your setup - that's totally up to you and what you need to accomplish with the system.

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Randyman... wrote:

I'd probably set the "Primary" Behringer as the Wordclock Master.  Set the RayDat to sync to ADAT #1 Input.  Then, set the second Behringer to sync to its ADAT Input.  Behringer #1 then specifies the frequency for the entire system.

You can also have the RayDat act as the Wordclock Master, and set both Behringers to sync to ADAT Input.  If you do it this way, your Audio Software will be able to change the RayDat's sample rate and the Behringer converters should follow along (limited to 44.1k or 48k, no 88/96k on those ADA8000's that I recall).

Beware that there are reports of flakey ADAT Clocking on some ADA8000's (seems like I read about one once every week from somewhere!).  Trying different master/slave setups until you find which one is the most solid in your setup is probably the best action when dealing with gear of unknown stability IMO...

As far as how you should configure the 16 Channels of analog I/O in your setup - that's totally up to you and what you need to accomplish with the system.

cool

wouldnt setting the raydat as master and the behringers the slaves seeing that the raydat has a much better clock?

If the Behringer's had a PLL worth a darn, then yes.  But I'd bet the PLL on the Behringers is pretty poor (meaning even with a theoretically "Perfect" clock at their input, they will still exhibit loads of jitter due to the inferior PLL).  So, I'd assume the Behringer would actually have less jitter when clocked internally (but only 1 can be set as "Internal/Master" - so one must still slave to an external clock via a PLL)...

Then, you also have the Behringer's seemingly unstable/un-consistent clocking issues to contend with (I doubt all of them have issues, but I sure have seen lots of posts talking about ADAT Sync issues).  I'd take a jittery signal over a non-synchronous or inconsistently locked signal anyday wink

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Randyman... wrote:

If the Behringer's had a PLL worth a darn, then yes.  But I'd bet the PLL on the Behringers is pretty poor (meaning even with a theoretically "Perfect" clock at their input, they will still exhibit loads of jitter due to the inferior PLL).  So, I'd assume the Behringer would actually have less jitter when clocked internally (but only 1 can be set as "Internal/Master" - so one must still slave to an external clock via a PLL)...

Then, you also have the Behringer's seemingly unstable/un-consistent clocking issues to contend with (I doubt all of them have issues, but I sure have seen lots of posts talking about ADAT Sync issues).  I'd take a jittery signal over a non-synchronous or inconsistently locked signal anyday wink

cool

I dont understand the clocking issues. If i set both behringers as adat slaves and the raydat as the internal master wouldnt that give me better proformance

*If* the Behringer had a good PLL, then it *might* be possible to improve the Behringer's internal crystal's jitter by using an external clock through the Behringer's PLL.  Do some research on how internal clocking is different from external clocking (mainly research what a PLL is and why an internal crystsl is almost always going to give you less jitter at the AD/DA stage).  That should shed TONS of light on the subject...

That said - I'd gladly use a "More Jittery" setup if it meant my clocking was rock solid (versus using a "less jittery" setup, but maybe you get the odd pop/click due to clocking issues with the Behringer).  If your RayDat shows anything other than a steady 24/7 "SYNC" for ADAT 1 and ADAT2, then something is wrong.

I have no clue what scenarios the Behringers seem to exhibit their clocking oddities - maybe you have a "good pair" and will be trouble-free no matter how you get setup (as long as Master/Slave is set properly).

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Randyman is right, the ADA PLL was tested by SOS magazine and clocked externally it is a little more jittery, but not much.
In practice any setup would work as long as clocked correctly. So it is up to you, best quality on one ADA (1 ADA master) or convenience of the raydat as master.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Ok so i should keep everything hooked up the same just set my first behringer to master @44.1k then the second behringer to adat slave in, and set my raydat to slave adat#1 and make sur the sample rates all match up right?

yes right cool

Vincent, Amsterdam

If it shows a STEADY "SYNC" indication for ADAT1 and ADAT2 in the RayDat's control panel, you should be golden.  If you loose that "Sync" status for any amont of time - something is wrong and you are likely to get pops and clicks in your system.

Some more info about clocking, and internal crystal vs external Wordclock through PLL's for your reference:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun10/a … clocks.htm

PS / Off Topic - Vin - Was it you that was mentioning setting the intel HD3000 IGP to "High Performance" for DAW use?  Was that in the "3D Performance" tab, as that is the only "Performace" type adjustment I see in the Intel IGP Control Panel...

Back to work cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

My guess would be the wrong Vin.....You probably want Tafkat Vin.He is here sometimes, but always on dawbench.com

Vincent, Amsterdam

I got everything hooked up and running. I set the buffer to 64 and am running 3.6 milliseconds round trip steady. I ran 16 tracks recording for 6 minutes and no drop outs. I think its working pretty good. The raydat is great.