Topic: Want to use both the UFX and UC simultaneously - is it possible?

I know I've seen a thread about this topic way back when I only had the UC and no thought of ever having both.
Now that lucky day is here (has been here!) and I could use some help. If I'm not mistaken it's possible but not technically supported by RME.
Anyone?
Thanks for the rock solid, gorgeous sounding and ever-expanding units you guys keep putting out!
-Ross

Re: Want to use both the UFX and UC simultaneously - is it possible?

I don't think you can connect them directly to each other via firewire, but if you are on a Mac it should be no problem to build an aggregate device (with the Audio-Midi-Setup program). In general it should work (at least with Pro Tools), but i haven't tried it with the UFX and UC.

gruss,
hannes

3 (edited by Timur Born 2012-03-07 09:36:09)

It is not officially supported, but like all RME interfaces you can (try to) combine up to three interfaces that use the same protocol (3x USB or 3x FW). On Windows they will show up as one single interface in DAW software while you still need to control each via its own Totalmix interface. On OS X you need to build an aggregated device and again control each via its own Totalmix.

Because of the high channel count you may run into bandwidth problems with FW 400 or USB 2.0 when you are using all channels at once in combination with small buffers, but generally it should work.

Thank you Timur! You were always there w/ the answer I needed back in my PC days and I'm glad to see you know you're there for the Mac delimmas as well smile
All the best,
~r

1 more question: do I need to sync via ADAT or SPDIF?

Yes, or Word Clock.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.