Topic: before buying babyface

Hello )

I want to buy RME Babyface for my home studio. But Before that i have few questions. It will be great if someone guide me properly..I produce trance music using Cubase as a DAW on my laptop Dell Precision M6500.

1). How to connect Babyface with the active monitors(Alesis Active MK2) which has XLR port ? Which type cable will be great for that (pls mention the connector type) ?

2). Babyface supports USB 3 ?

3). I have never used any hardware synth but this time im going for Access Virus TI2 Desktop (the module) with controller Novation SL MK2. So how to connect both of this device with babyface ? which cables do i need ?

4). Which device has best sound quality (Better audio signal processing) ? RME BABYFACE OR RME FIREFACE UFX?

Thanks.

Re: before buying babyface

Probably no one answered yet since all the info is on the product page already.

1) XLR (f) to XLR (m). Babyface has XLR on the breakout cable, as you can see in the photos.
2) Babyface is USB 2.0, USB 3.0 ports on your computer should work fine with Babyface.
3) Not sure what you want to know.
4) UFX has better specs, both are very clean and transparent in regards to converter quality.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by Hemansu 2011-06-24 23:02:30)

Hi Jeff smile Thanks so much for the reply

Everything is clear now but finally i want to know which has more clear sound...BABYFACE OR FIREFACE UFX...i dont care about money...i need the pure cristal clear sound. Are the both units differ in only one way (number of inputs and outputs on the unit). Is fireace UFX has pro quality DSP, converters, pre-amps than Babyface then i should go for Fireface UFX. And if there is no difference then i should go with Babyface because it has enough in/outs aswell as its portable !

Ok thanks for reply smile

i want to know which has more clear sound...BABYFACE OR FIREFACE UFX...i dont care about money....

Take both!

Sound is pure subjective. After extensive tests several japanese Hifi experts came to the conclusion the Fireface UC sounds better than any other RME interface. We can find other reviews stating the UFX is the best, some say the Babyface is superior. From the specifications the ADI-8 QS has the best AD/DA conversion. So all we can say: the only person who can choose your perfect interface is ... you.

best regards
Knut

5 (edited by Hemansu 2011-06-25 12:30:18)

Thanks Admin Knut smile

Actually i want the perect answer for my question.....BABYFACE or FIREFACE UFX. If BABYFACE & FIREACE UFX sounds same than why there is a huge price difference ? Is it just for the more inputs/outputs ?

If someone has tested both units for the same sound (same audio singal) and has a perfect conclution. pls reply quickly...

Thanks again Admin Knut...

Admin Knut wrote:

After extensive tests several japanese Hifi experts came to the conclusion the Fireface UC sounds better than any other RME interface.

That statement is rubbish unless you give missing details, like - testing only computer interfaces (not stand-alone converters), and tests done before the UFX was available, and...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello Mathias Carstens !

Thanks for your information. You are from RME Audio, so probably you should know which one is the better between "BABYFACE & FIREFACE UFX" ? If you have ever check BABYFACE & FIREFACE UFX for the same sound (same audio signal), pls tell me Which has better processing...reply soon pls (

Hey Hemansu,

The best answer would be: get both for a demo and decide it for yourself.
But, since it appears that you are solely relying on others' opinion for your own purchase, I will give you an answer: buy a Fireface UFX if you can afford one; if not, buy a Babyface.
So are you satisfied, now?

J

9 (edited by Hemansu 2011-06-25 11:04:09)

Hello Redsound !

This is really great to have both or why not have all RME interfaces and check all of them myself. Isn't that so stupid. You know what Mr. Resound "WHY WE ARE HERE ?" We are here on RME forum just to get the right guidence from RME staff. And obviously i do want only one interface either BABYFACE or FIREFACE UFX. I prefer BABYFACE instead FIREFACE UFX cause it is portable & has enough in/out for my requirement. But i dont want to repent later that, why shouldn't i go for FIREFACE UFX because it has pro sound quality...:(

There is no difference in "audio signal processing" which would make one of the two sound "better". There is no specific design for "audio quality", both devices are made to sound as good and true to the source as possible. You really need to test for yourself which one you prefer.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

11 (edited by Hemansu 2011-06-25 11:07:03)

If Anyone Has Ever Tested Babyface & Fireface Ufx For The Same Sound (same Audio Signal), Then Pls Tell Me Which Has Better Signal Processing (dsp), Proffessional Converters & Preamps).

Reply From Rme Staff Is Much Appreciated.....thanks:)

Then Pls Tell Me Which Has Better Signal Processing (dsp), Proffessional Converters & Preamps)

From the pure specifications the UFX is better. But I canot recognize a difference in the sound.

Differences UFX:
- internal DSP
- Preamp 1dB steps with 65 dB gain (Babyface 3 dB steps - 60 dB)
- Advanced Parallel Conversion on the 4 Preamps
- +24 dBu on the main output (Babyface +15 dBu)
- slightly different AD/DA specs

Please check the specification data on both product websites.

best regards
Knut

wowzers!

DeadHorse

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

14 (edited by Hemansu 2011-07-07 21:07:58)

Hi ! Thanks every one who helped me here.

No problem - No one can answer your specific "which one sounds better" question but you as no one hears the same (subjective at this level).  Specs don’t equal perceived sound by any means.  Some apparently like the BF better, some apparently like the UFX better as mentioned by RME personnel above.

I stand by my previous post wink

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Daniel,

Are the A/D D/A chips and mic-pres the same in both the Babyface and UFX? Since the specs appear to differ, I would imagine they use different chips?

Almost every review of the UFX I have seen compared with the FF800 (which I own along with quite a few of other RME gear) has said the UFX sounds better, which is not surprising. I am also looking for a sonic comparison between the UFX and the Babyface which I have not found as yet in the other forums. Some of the comparisons of course will be subjective, but the quality of the components should not be.

Many thanks for any info,

Cleber

RME Support wrote:

There is no difference in "audio signal processing" which would make one of the two sound "better". There is no specific design for "audio quality", both devices are made to sound as good and true to the source as possible. You really need to test for yourself which one you prefer.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Randyman,

Very fine point, but maybe a bit black-and-white?

Those of us that have been in the recording industry for a long time know whose "hearing" to pay attention to when judging other people's opinion. It is one thing to listen to random self-appointed "audiophiles" and amateur gearheads, as helpful as those opinions can be. It is another thing to listen to engineers, producers and the like with many years experience who have - and continue to - compare a lot of pro gear. Although even then it is somewhat subjective especially when dealing with state-of-the-art gear, one can learn a lot from experienced folks that use similar parameters to oneself to decide what is "better" (i.e., which gear is less coloured, if that is one of the important parameters - which is to me since I do mainly classical recordings).

I think one will probably not find those kind of views on this forum for obvious reasons, but there are several other forums where these folks do impart very good advice.

Cleber

Randyman... wrote:

No problem - No one can answer your specific "which one sounds better" question but you as no one hears the same (subjective at this level).  Specs don’t equal perceived sound by any means.  Some apparently like the BF better, some apparently like the UFX better as mentioned by RME personnel above.

I stand by my previous post wink

redsound wrote:

Hey Hemansu,

The best answer would be: get both for a demo and decide it for yourself.
But, since it appears that you are solely relying on others' opinion for your own purchase, I will give you an answer: buy a Fireface UFX if you can afford one; if not, buy a Babyface.
So are you satisfied, now?

J

What about the UC? Is it not as good as the BABYFACE?

19 (edited by Hemansu 2012-03-13 06:14:04)

Hey Paul !

I had bought UFX & i'm completely satisfied with it. And i'm a proud customer of RME !

Thanks for making quality product )

Thats great. You use the Firewire or USB on UFX?

21 (edited by Hemansu 2012-03-22 09:46:46)

Sorry for the late reply...actually i dont have much time to check my emails regularly so,...

Anyway i use it as USB...Cubase 6 64 bit is my daw which runs flawless on window 7 64 bit...Thats really perfect set up for me smile

Now why i love Germany so much...simply becoz

1 Cubase

2 RME

3 Acess Music (Virus)

4 Native Instruments

I have Dell Precision which is quite powerful...So why Apple ? smile))