Topic: HDSPe AIO - 48k ADAT doesn't clock

Hi

My HDSPe AIO suffer from a really unstable clock on the ADAT port at 48KHz.

Here's my setup:

Rme HDSPe AIO, is my main audio card that I use for my stereo I/O, I also have the additional 4 analog I/O installed

Rme ADI-4 DD, I use it to convert the ADAT I/O from the HDSPe into AES I/O

Apogee AD8000, is connected to the ADI-4 DD using the AES I/O

The Apogee is my master clock, I send the word clock to the ADI-4 DD which has the sync set to WC.
On the HDSPe setting the clock mode is set to Autosync.

I'm using a Mac Pro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 10gb RAM, running OS 10.6.8.

My DAW is Steinberg Nuendo 5.5.2.359 that I'm still using in 32bit mode, in the VST Audio System page the card is set to externally clocked.

Basically every time I run a session at 48KHz, and I use the ADAT port on the HDSPe to communicate with the Apogee converter, the ADAT clock becomes totally unstable.
The ADAT SYNC light on the ADI-4 DD start flashing, and the input status of the ADAT port on the HDSPe settings moves continuously from LOCK to SYNC.

I never experienced this problem at 44.1KHz.

I tried to reinstall the drivers and upgrade the firmware of the HDPSe, I also tried any possible combination of clock sources, but nothing worked.

This is a huge problem for me, I just finished mixing an album and I literally spent hours bouncing every song, rather than minutes.
It was really embarrassing in front of my clients.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: HDSPe AIO - 48k ADAT doesn't clock

Have you tested different clock setups, e.g. with the AIO as master, to track down the source of the problem?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes, that was actually my first test, but nothing changed.

Please describe that setup in detail, and then test individual parts of the setup to find out whether there is a communication problem between two specific devices at 48k.
Which exact driver and firmware versions are installed?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I thought my description in the first post was pretty accurate. What else do you need to know exactly?

As I already said, the problem is in the ADAT connection between the HDSPe AIO and the ADI-4 DD.

Best

Marco

I was referring to the setup with the AIO as master.
And if you suspect a problem between these two specific devices, then please test them individually, with nothing else connected, in various clock setups.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

HDSPe Settings: clock mode set to MASTER

ADI-4 DD: sync set to ADAT

Apogee AD8000: sync set to AMBUS port C (is the AES card connected to the ADI-4 DD)

Nuendo: sync to internal

I'm sure the problem is between the HDSPe AIO and the ADI-4 DD, but I don't understand how can I test them individually.
Probably individually they work fine, but I don't really care. Since I need them to work well together.

Any suggestion for a specific test?

Please test the devices individually as I suggested. Whatever the outcome, it will show us how to proceed tracking down the issue..

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
REM

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes, but how do I make the test?

I mean, how can I test the HDSPe AIO individually? With nothing connected?
How can I see if the ADAT port of the HDSPe AIO is faulty if I don't connect anything to it?

I guess I'm missing something here...

I'm sorry but I need you to be more specific about the test.

Thanks

If you suspect the problem is between the HDSPe AIO and the ADI-4 DD, then obviously testing these individually refers to a setup with only these two. As I said above, "test individual parts of the setup to find out whether there is a communication problem between two specific devices at 48"...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME