Topic: Fireface UFX power supply replacement for 12v DC field use.

Hello all.

I currently have a fireface 800 and was thinking of upgrading to the UFX.
At the moment I use my fireface in the studio, but use a field recorder when outside. I am interested in the UFX because of it's ability to capture to usb drives as a backup. I also like RME preamps and converters and would love the ability to use them in the field. The only caveat is that it doesn't run on batteries or take 12 DC like it's smaller cousins . Is it possible to replace the transformer inside, to allow it to accept 12v DC?

Thanks!

Re: Fireface UFX power supply replacement for 12v DC field use.

Probably not - at least officially. 

Your best bet would be a small (high-quality) inverter that will convert 12V dc to AC of the appropriate flavour (or flavor as the case may be) - the UFX will accept 100-260V AC of either the 50Hz or 60Hz persuasion. 

These are readily available, the drain of the UFX is reasonably small (30VA, I believe).  A good one with a "true sinewave" output, well filtered, will reduced power supply noise possibilities.

Another approach is to consider the UCX, which will accept 12V dc.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Re: Fireface UFX power supply replacement for 12v DC field use.

Thanks panatrope.

I know that I could use an inverter, but after the power transformer the circuits require DC. If I knew what [flavour] they take, I could install the appropriate circuit. It would save a lot of space, weight, and hassle. Maybe it's possible to install the power board from the UCX? If I could, it could connect to AC mains via the UCX power adapter.

Don't think the UCX records to USB disk, if it did, then that would be a nice alternative. I do need the redundancy that provides though, and would prefer to have at least 3 mic pre-amps for surround recording.

This system would be an absolute dream in the field and studio. In the field with an IPad. In the studio it would slot in to any set up, and always with the knowledge that if the computer goes down, there is still the usb backup.

Cheers