Topic: install problems with HDSP AES-32

I have a HDSP card that works fine, but the DAW it's running on is getting long in the tooth.
I built a new machine around an ASUS P7P55D board / WinXP sp3, and it works fine but it won't recognize the card properly.

I see it in device manager as an unknown PCI device, and I'm following all the manual install instructions correctly, but when I try and select the driver .inf I get "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware"

I've tried numerous drivers and all the PCI slots.  Other audio cards work fine in the new machine, and the RME card works fine in the old machine.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Re: install problems with HDSP AES-32

Follow these instructions please: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=732

Make sure you choose the correct hardware type for the card.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Yes, this is exactly the protocol I am following.

When I get to this step: 
"Once you see the INF file for the device displayed in the Locate File window, click Open."
I get the error message "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware"
I have tried the latest drivers as well as the archived ones.  My firmware seems to be current (234).  I am not sure how to proceed.

Pull the card out and see if that "unknown" device is still there, you must be trying to install RME drivers on a different device.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hi,

The unknown item only shows when I have the RME card in place. 
There are no other PCI devices installed, although I have since tried a couple other PCI soundcards to make sure the PCI slots work, and they installed with no problems.

I just did a full reinstall of Windows.  Now the new machine doesn't even see the card, nothing appears in device manager.  I tried two different PCI slots.

I realize this sounds like a motherboard defect, but I was able to install an m-audio card and a lynx card with no problems whatsoever.   And the RME card still works fine on my older machine, an AMD/PNY combo.

Any help would be appreciated, I don't want to spend time and money on a new motherboard if there is no guarantee it will work.  I just bought this ASUS board, it's been rock solid for everything else.

Try cleaning the gold contact pins on the card, use a pencil eraser to wipe them down.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Just to follow up, because it took me forever to find time to do this,
the pencil eraser seemed to do the trick, thank you for the suggestion.
Only one slot would recognize the card, but one slot is all I need.
Thanks for the assistance.