Topic: question for babyface owners

Hi there,

just got my Babyface. Instead of installing it in my studio i decided to give it a try on my Macbook Pro 2.4 Dual Core 4gig RAM.
I have WINXP installed through Bootcamp and i run Cubase 5.1

There is no way i can play audio without crackling noises. Even with buffer setting at 1024.

I eliminated the usual suspects:

- driver and firmware up 2 date
- Only Cubase makes use of the babyface (windows uses the inbuilt realtek crap)
- Tried using different buffer sizes
- etc

I doubt it could be the Mac, cause although an intel dual core 2.5 mhz with 4 gigs of ram is terribly outdated, it should be able to play
sound without crackling noises at a buffer size of 256.

Am i correct, and can anybody offer a solution?

Re: question for babyface owners

Don't know MAC, don't know Bootcamp.
I use Windows XP SP3, nothing wrong with Babyface.

If Windows is using inbuilt realtek crap then set the Sound and Audio Applet in Control Panel to the Babyface Analog (1+2). and take the drivers out for the realtek and disable it either through the BIOS of the machine or Disabled in Windows. My Windows computer could do that in the BIOS easily by settings - do not use built-in sound card something or other in there somewhere. Otherwise, I have no idea except use a bigger buffer - like 2048, but then I use Cakewalk Sonar, so perhaps someone else can give a better answer when someone else comes along.

And use ASIO drivers on the Babyface.

spacealf wrote:

Don't know MAC, don't know Bootcamp.
I use Windows XP SP3, nothing wrong with Babyface.

If Windows is using inbuilt realtek crap then set the Sound and Audio Applet in Control Panel to the Babyface Analog (1+2). and take the drivers out for the realtek and disable it either through the BIOS of the machine or Disabled in Windows. My Windows computer could do that in the BIOS easily by settings - do not use built-in sound card something or other in there somewhere. Otherwise, I have no idea except use a bigger buffer - like 2048, but then I use Cakewalk Sonar, so perhaps someone else can give a better answer when someone else comes along.

And use ASIO drivers on the Babyface.

Hey man thanks for taking the time.
I did unable the realtek drivers already, but to no result.
I still have to try to install the babyface in my studio, also using windows (but on a pc). Maybe i won't experience problems there.
But i still think it's strange that i am getting clicks at such a high buffer size on windows through mac. Bootcamp simply offers the possiblity of running Windows natively. Meaning that windows can use all the resources of the Macbook Pro (unlike virtual solutions).

Anyone else experience with babyface and bootcamp?

There is no hardware problem here, just the horrible Windows drivers Apple supplies with Boot Camp for XP. See here, specifically post #20.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=591

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Forgot to answer,

but this topic may be closed. Thanks for the answers, it worked in the end.