1 (edited by Skeletron 2012-03-31 05:42:05)

Topic: Pops/click when seeking and stopping (playback) with Babyface?

EDIT: Disregard this thread! I went and tested my old Tascam US144 Mkii interface on two different computers and heard the same clicks even more pronounced. I must have just never noticed them before. I've been listening closer to everything after picking up the Babyface and upgrading to some real studio monitors. Guess I was just getting a little OCD. It's clearly something that isn't specifically related to the Babyface. Es tut mir leid!

In Foobar2000 and Studio One, if I seek forward or backward while a track is playing I will often hear a noise like a click or a pop. The same thing happens when I click the stop button. It happens most of the time, but not every time. I haven't noticed if it occurs DURING playback. I don't think it does. It only happens when I navigate to a new spot in a track while it's playing and when I stop a track from playing. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is pretty annoying and I want to find the cause in case it's indicative of a larger problem.

I've tried setting the Babyface's buffer size (latency) from the minimum 48 to the maximum 2048. I've tried changing Foobar2000's buffer size from its lowest to highest settings. No matter what buffer size I choose, I still hear the pops/clicks whenever I click "stop" or jump forward/backward in a track while it's playing.

My laptop is:

Toshiba R35-P56X
Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30Ghz
8GB of RAM
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Crucial M4 128GB SSD as my main drive (OS, applications)
Hitachi 640GB as my secondary drive (data)
Babyface drivers 1.019 and firmware 185.
and my Babyface is plugged directly into a pair of BM5a Mkii monitors.

I've gone through numerous guides such as this one to optimize my laptop for audio.

I've tested fine with DPC Latency Checker, but it seems like I get a weird abundance of hard page faults in LatencyMon from various processes (especially when I open Studio One). I've tried setting my paging file size to 0 like the LatencyMon guide suggests and I STILL get a ridiculous number of hard pagefaults. How is that possible? Anyway, I'm not even sure if it's related to the pops/clicks. Does anyone have any ideas? It seems like I've tried everything.

Here are my DPC Latency Checker and Latency Mon results:

http://i.imgur.com/EX1fM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/i9nyP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gjaf0.jpg

CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:12:19 (h:mm:ss)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
System Information
Computer name:                                       
OS version:                                           Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel        Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz
Logical processors:                                   4
RAM:                                                  8488669184 total
VM:                                                   2147352576, free: 1934897152

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   2294 MHz
Measured CPU speed:                                   1389 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED KERNEL TIMER LATENCIES
Highest measured kernel timer latency (µs):           380.1782

MEASURED SMIs AND CPU STALLS
Highest measured SMI routine or CPU stall (µs)        8.3190

REPORTED DPCs
Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              211.1874
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       iaStor.sys - Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver - x64, Intel Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.1345
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         rspLLL64.sys - Resplendence Latency Monitoring and Auxiliary Kernel Library, Resplendence Software Projects Sp.

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.3454

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   2373657
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED ISRs
Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              27.8748
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       iaStor.sys - Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver - x64, Intel Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.1200
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   hal.dll - Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.1980

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   856640
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Process with highest pagefault count:                 none

Total number of hard pagefaults                       4012
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          3405
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs):          201310.9328
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%):              0.9080
TODO: Number of processes hit:                        0

2 (edited by Skeletron 2012-03-31 05:42:53)

Re: Pops/click when seeking and stopping (playback) with Babyface?

While researching this problem I've come across something called "DC Offset" that sounds similar to what I'm experiencing. The pops definitely sound like that. But it has nothing to do with recording in my case, just playback. I can hear it when any audio plays on my system, in Studio One, Foobar200, Audacity, even Youtube. Anytime the Babyface goes between playing audio to silence (like when I click the stop button) I hear a distinct pop.

Could my Babyface be creating some kind of DC Offset that causes a pop when I go between playback and silence? Is that possible? I have no idea. HeadScratch

I can hear it occur in both Analog outputs 1+2 and 3+4, by the way.

EDIT: Nevermind! See above.

Re: Pops/click when seeking and stopping (playback) with Babyface?

It sounds like my problem, am i right?
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14001
You seem to understood the problem but i couldn't get it.