Topic: Newbie Questions

New to the forum here, as well as the RME product line. Just upgraded from a MOTU 828mkII to the RME Fireface UFX, and have a couple of very basic newbie questions.

First off, I've got a very new 8-core Mac Pro, and am wondering if I'm likely to achieve better recording results via Firewire or USB? I typically record between 10-14 tracks simultaneously (rock band stuff).

Secondly, how do I enable using headphones via RME output channels 9/10 or 11/12 for listening to a CD, or itunes music, etc.? In Logic, I can obviously easily set outputs to the headphone channels, but I'm not seeing a way to do that outside of Logic.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Newbie Questions

First off, I've got a very new 8-core Mac Pro, and am wondering if I'm likely to achieve better recording results via Firewire or USB?

I think USB but you are the only one who can find out whats better in your individual setup.

Secondly, how do I enable using headphones via RME output channels 9/10 or 11/12 for listening to a CD, or itunes music, etc.?

Click the output channel of your headphones (it gets brighter) and raise the fader of the channel with the iTunes signal. 

best regards
Knut

I'm still missing something very basic here, so please pardon my ignorance as I get up to speed on TotalMix. When I click on either of the output channels for headphones (located in the control room section, and not specifically in the H/W output section), they do in fact get brighter. I'm seeing the signal from itunes on S/W playback channel AN 1/2, and that fader is up (and I can hear the signal thru the main speakers), but there's no signal showing on the headphone meters, and no signal coming thru the headphones.

I'm obviously not assigning the incoming itunes signal to the proper output to get it to play back thru the headphones. Does this have anything to do with the assignments under each of the channel strips, and how are these utilized?

Is there anywhere I can dive into a bit more info on signal routing within TotalMix that provides a bit more detail for someone without a mixing desk background?

Thanks for any help and the patience!

When you click on Phone 1, Phone 2, and Main in the control room section, what you see is "independent mixer panel" for that selected output. In other words, think about you have three mixers, one for each output port: Main speaker pair, Phone 1, and Phone 2 jacks. To recognize which "Mixer" you are looking at, take a look at the PH9/10, PH11/12, and AN1/2 which is shown just under those faders, right? If you see PH9/10 under all the faders, you are looking at the "Mixer" for Phone 1. Does that make sense? If you see AN1/2 under all the faders, you are looking at the "Mixer" for Main output.

So, if the signal from iTunes/CDs are correctly routed to S/W return channel 1/2 (seems like they are, because you can monitor them through Main), you need to click on the Phone 1, and then move the slider of the S/W return channel 1/2. You may be seeing the signals from iTunes/CDs on S/W palyback channel AN1/2, but you may be still looking at the "Mixer for Main".

This is as much as I can explain by text. Hopefully it makes sense.

Masaaki,

Thanks - yes that is making more sense. When I click on phones 1 in the control room, phones 9/10 are now listed under all the faders in the H/W input and S/W playback sections of the mixer. The slider for AN 1/2 in the S/W playback section is up (as is the slider for ph 9/10 in the S/W playback section, and I see a signal coming thru that channel, but still no signal showing in phones 1 in the control room, and nothing coming out of the headphones. Plenty of signal from itunes coming out of the mains, however. Slider for phones 9/10 is also up in the control room. I know I'm missing something incredibly basic here, and I'm going to be pretty embarrassed when I figure it out!

Okay.....I don't know what else I can say.....
1. Signals (from iTune) are coming in AN1/2 S/W playback.
2. The slider of the AN1/2 S/W playback is up, when Phone 1 is selected as routing target.
3. The slider of Phone 1 is also up.
4. The signals come to Main (via AN1/2 S/W playback), and monitor no problems.
5. But, you don't see any signal bar going up in the Phone 1 in the control panel section, and don't hear anything.

Is this what you are experiencing? The only one I know which can do this is the mute button for Phone 1......but, other than that..hummm...strange.

Does the Phone 2 work, by the way?

Can you post a screenshot from the matrix (x)?

best regards
Knut

You have either Talkback or Listenback active. Check F3 and/or perform a mixer Total Reset.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I checked talkback and listenback in the settings, and neither was active. Did a total reset of the mixer, and still no iTunes signal thru the headphones. Interestingly, I can easily get a headphone signal out of Logic just by selecting the appropriate output from within Logic (9/10 or 11/12). And as I mentioned earlier, I've got a signal out of iTunes thru the mains.

Unfortunately, I've only been able to spend a couple of minutes the last few days on this, or I'd just dive in and start playing around. I'll try that this weekend. I've got screenshots of the matrix and mixer views on my desktop, but how do I post them on the forum?

Thanks again for all the help and patience!

Try Imageshack.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Here's the link on Imageshack to the screenshot of the matrix and the mixer for my current setup:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19 … at621.png/

Thanks again, and I'll spend some quality time this weekend reviewing some tutorials and the manual in more detail.

I believe guys@RME will chime in soon, but is this right after you reset to default?

Your AN1/2 software playback fader is all the way down, for the Phone 1 routing target.

Here are links to two videos you will find most helpful:

- Totalmix FX tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M23E1Njrc4
- Fireface UFX Display Controls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8ptMTtvYPI

happy tracking :-)

best regards,
Blair Francey
Fireface 802/ARC USB; HDSP Multiface x 2; 2023 AMD Windows 10 Custom PC

2. The slider of the AN1/2 S/W playback is up, when Phone 1 is selected as routing target.

Not from your posted image. You set the mixer to the default status? As you can see in the image in this setup only the main gets all signals from inputs and playbacks (green rectangles with 0dB).

The send level of Inputs/Playbacks to Phones 1 is not active. Phones 1 (assigned to ...?) gets only a signal from Playback channels PH 9/10 (0 dB - passed through).
If you want Inputs/Playbacks signals to the phones the "numbers" should look like on the main output column. You can set the mix in the matrix, but the most easy way for a start is to copy the main output mix with a right click on the main channel and paste it with a right click to the phones 1 channel.

best regards
Knut

Many thanks to everyone who's helped me get over these initial very basic hurdles. It's making much more sense now, after the tips here and a couple of tutorials. Now it's time to get back to tracking! Thanks again.

Hi everyone,

Another question somehow related to this threat is how can I assign the software return to one or another channel of the corresponding software playback channels?

for instance, my itunes is routed to the channel AN 7/8 of the Software channels. can I route them to any other of these sw channels if I wish?

thanks!!

New to RME UFX having problem with recording.  Trying to record analog inputs 9-12.  Recorder panel dosn't show up in TotalMix.  Manuel says "For recording via the analog inputs the corresponding record device has to be chosen (Fireface UFX Analog (x+x))" but it dosen't tell how to do it.

Press the button "Record view" in the right panel of TotalMix to see the Record and playback buttons in every channel.

best regards
Knut

The quote from the manual refers to recording with an audio software...
Is this what you are trying to do? Or USB recording?

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I am trying to do USB recording.  The Recorder panel (the panel with the button "Record view") dosen't show up in TotalMix.  Also when I press the Meters button on the unit the Record page dosen't show up in the display.  This happens wiith or without a USB n the front USB port.  I think this might be an install problem.  Should the "Record" panel (lower right panel) always be visible?  Do I need to be online to install the drivers and TotalMix?

Maybe your driver and firmware are simply outdated...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

The new driver and firmware did the trick.  Thenks.