Topic: 9652 - problem connecting SPDIF to AES at 96khz

I am trying to connect a stereo AES input and output to my RME 9652 SPDIF input and output.
I have had two cables made (RCA to XLR) that are exactly as described in the manual.

This works fine at lower sample rates (44.1 and 48k) but the signal drops out and becomes completely un-usable when I work at 96k.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Re: 9652 - problem connecting SPDIF to AES at 96khz

How is clocking configured between the two devices? Do you see solid "Sync" for the SPDIF in in HDSP Settings? SPDIF out set to "Professional"?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: 9652 - problem connecting SPDIF to AES at 96khz

Hi Jeff, thanks for your response.

Wow, what a strange day I had! HeadScratch

Regarding the clocking - My RME is externally clocked, but it made no difference when I changed it to internal clock.

The SPDIF output was set to 'Professional' and the sync showed up as 'locked' on the RME. The unit that I tried to connect to kept showing that it was losing sync on its screen.

In the end I changed the unit to a different plug point to my computer (Initially it was on the same multi-plug) and it just 'magically' worked with exactly the same settings.

I presume it must have been an earthing issue between my computer and the unit. Very strange but it is solved now.

(I hope this helps someone if they ever have a similar issue)