1 (edited by padawarno 2012-02-12 17:14:26)

Topic: Newbie questions

Hello,

I'm a brand new user of the babyface (with a macbook pro i7 running OS X Lion). I should say that the babyface is the first external soundcard I'm using (a few years ago, I recorded a demo using only the integrated soundcard of my laptop... resulting in people telling me they couldn't do anything with my tracks... I learned my lesson).
So I'm a beginner too.

I've read the manual (in french, as french is my mothertongue - sorry for my bad english), I've watched the TotalMix tuto 1 on youtube... but I have still a lot of questions...
I'm sorry if it's obvious to you, I'm not a pro sound engineer and have only a limited experience comparing to most of people here.

My first question is about Fireface USB Settings : there is a DSP : EQ for Record (check / uncheck) line.
I've read the explanation in the manual, I understand every word... but I don't understand the meaning. What is the use of this feature ?
Could someone explain it basically (without tech words, please...) to me, please ?

The following questions aims TotalMix :
Second question :
If my understanding is right, AN means analog, ADAT means numerical In (or Out), PH means phones... and what is the meaning of AS ?

Third question :
Hardware Input = the physical Input (Line In L/R, Midi In, ADAT In, Inst)
Hardware Output = the physical Output (Phones, Line Out L/R, Midi Out, ADAT Out)
and Software Playback ?
From the name and the youtube video, here on my laptop it is my Logic Pro software... but the Input of Logic, or the Output of Logic ?

Fourth question :
The last one is a practical one, and it's showing my lack of understanding of the global logic of TotalMix : I'd like to record a violon from two Input simultaneously.
The first one is a pickup mic on the bridge, I connect it using a jack in the Inst Input in the Babyface (signal ok in TotalMix).
The second one is a static mic using an XLR cable connected in Line In L (signal ok in TotalMix too).
I would like to "mix" this double mono signal, in order to balance it as I like, and then send this in Logic as a mono signal in order to record it.
Is it possible ?
I suspect a connection with the Loopback feature... but I didn't understood how exactly...

Thank you very much in advance to those who will answer my ignorance (please don't tell me that I'm too dumb to use the babyface and that I should brought it back to the store, I really want to learn).

Re: Newbie questions

EQ for Record (check / uncheck) line. I've read the explanation in the manual, I understand every word... but I don't understand the meaning. What is the use of this feature ?
Could someone explain it basically (without tech words, please...) to me, please ?

If you activate this option, the EQ on the signal on the input channels will be recorded with the EQ. If there is no EQ - only the unchanged signal will be recorded.

If my understanding is right, AN means analog, ADAT means numerical In (or Out), PH means phones... and what is the meaning of AS ?

ADAT 1/2 or SPDIF - remember it can be switched to one or the other.

and Software Playback ?

Output of Logic and/or any other audio program. The playback channels give you the chance to route one output of Logic to all Babyface outputs (e. g. to make a different monitor and phones mix).

I suspect a connection with the Loopback feature...

Yes. Route both channels to output AN1 (Mono?). Click Loopback in this channel and this mixed signal will be recorded in Logic on input 1. Instead of the usual pre TotalMix signal.

Keep in mind, TotalMix is a complete hardware mixer, but in the default state this mixer is BEHIND the recorded signal. It mixes and routes all inputs with playback channels completely freely to monitoring mixes. The incoming signal is not affected by TotalMix. Exceptions:
- EQ for Record
- Loopback

best regards
Knut

Thank you very much Knut ! Merci !!! :-)

Keep in mind, TotalMix is a complete hardware mixer, but in the default state this mixer is BEHIND the recorded signal. It mixes and routes all inputs with playback channels completely freely to monitoring mixes. The incoming signal is not affected by TotalMix. Exceptions:
- EQ for Record
- Loopback

That's the key info I was missing, I think. That explains a lot! Thank you again.
I used to use hardware mixer, so I was thinking the harware way.

If you activate this option, the EQ on the signal on the input channels will be recorded with the EQ. If there is no EQ - only the unchanged signal will be recorded.

So correct me if I'm wrong : if I click on EQ on the side of a channel, and I "activate" the EQ by clicking on the orange button, it affects only the monitored signal, and not the recorded signal ?

I will work on the practical point and maybe ask you some other questions if it pops up.

Regards,
Arno

So correct me if I'm wrong : if I click on EQ on the side of a channel, and I "activate" the EQ by clicking on the orange button, it affects only the monitored signal, and not the recorded signal ?

Yes. If you don't activate "EQ for record" it affects only the monitoring signal.

best regards
Knut

Thank you a lot, Knut.

I really appreciate your help, makes me even more happy to have bought a Babyface. :-)

Best regards,
Arno

6 (edited by latoyazn 2012-04-09 14:06:26)

hi i just found out about the loopback feature i would like to know if i am using the loopback feature to record from software instruments to audio and the card's sample rate and the project's sample rate are both set to lets say 96kHz is the audio recording going to be recorded at that sample rate and am i using the card's converters to record the audio.Sorry if the question seems like a silly one i'm a newbie. Thanks in advance

kind regards
latoya

Of course just for me, I would record each input track (of the two) separately into my DAW and then set the balance in the DAW between both of them and then "Bounce" both tracks and combine them to one track then at the end in the DAW.
Just the way I would do it, instead of trying to combine them before recording both tracks.
Of course I am using a different DAW and perhaps there is something then about that also that would not work with your DAW.