Topic: Fireface UC - Cannot adjust gain on line inputs 5-8

Tonight first time using my new Fireface UC on a remote recording (windows7-x64) first time using it, and can't seem to adjust line inputs 5-8 on the back. I do have the latest drivers and firmware.

In the software, Fireface USB Settings, on the Gain tab, I'm seeing the 3 dropdown menus for changing levels to +4dB, (they are all set to +4) but... Nothing else appears on that page! The rest of that page is empty. No sliders for mic ins or line ins. HELP! How do I adjust gain for inputs 5-8???

Re: Fireface UC - Cannot adjust gain on line inputs 5-8

In TotalMix FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The line inputs have no variable gain setting besides the +4/-10 setting.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

MC wrote:

In TotalMix FX.

Can you walk me thru bringing up those levels in Total Mix? I brought the faders up but it didn't seem to have much effect. I'm recording in Pro Tools and input levels were still very faint.

To adjust the analog gain of the preamps open the tool flyout of the micpre channel and turn the gain knob.

Signal flow > analog preamps > AD > Pro Tools/TotalMix. The signal from the AD converters goes to the recording software (Pro Tools) and TotalMix (= two identical signals). So the digital mixer volume (fader) has no effect on the recorded signal.

best regards
Knut

Thanks Knut. I had no problem with the mic pres on channels 1 and 2, and line ins 3 and 4 were also fine, as I adjusted the gain right on the hardware box. But lines 5-8 of course are not adjustableon the box, and I tried using Total Mix to boost gain but could not find a way to do it.

RME Support wrote:

The line inputs have no variable gain setting besides the +4/-10 setting.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

So I'm assuming these are designed to be used only with mic pres?

On the gig last night I was taking signal from group outs from an FOH mixer.

Daniel is correct, there is no other gain setting than -10 for those inputs.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Wish I'd known that before I bought the unit. Makes it a lot less useful on remote recording sites when I'm taking line level signal off the FOH mixer. Is this the same kind of situation with the Fireface 800 AND 400?

Of course, and any other interface as well. What you write makes no sense to me. You get a line level signal from a FOH mixer - that one should be hot and does not need further amplification. -10 is already quite sensitive. Usually you have to use +4 for LESS gain, and sometimes even have to use external passive pads to reduce the hot level. Check the setup...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by innermuic 2012-04-08 14:47:57)

MC wrote:

Of course, and any other interface as well. What you write makes no sense to me. You get a line level signal from a FOH mixer - that one should be hot and does not need further amplification. -10 is already quite sensitive. Usually you have to use +4 for LESS gain, and sometimes even have to use external passive pads to reduce the hot level. Check the setup...

Can't say, only that the levels coming off the FOH were weak and required further amplification which as mentioned earlier, the RME cannot do. The FOH engineer told me the outs were at +4 but I cannot verify this. I do know that signal from the FOH that came into the UC's inputs 3+4 did require additional amplification, which of course 3+4 can do right from the hardware. It would be nice to have that capability on inputs 5-8.

There are basically 2 line level feeds you will get from 99.9% of mixers.

+4 and -10

99.9% of soundcards accept 2 line levels.

+4 and -10

Anything else will have a gain stage (knob adjusting input)

In theory the FoH is sending you a signal that is probably POST fader, as in they have the fader way down and it's sending you a weak signal.

Ask if they can send PRE fader, so your getting the signal direct from the Gain stage, not the mix stage.

Good point, Ian...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME