Topic: Babyface Four Outputs Matching?

Hi,

I did a bit of searching on the forums but couldn't find an answer to this:

I occasionally need to make quadrophonic sound installations. My question, without a better way of putting it, is whether the main outs and the headphone outs are matched. IOW, if I were to drive 4 speakers of the same type with BF, would there be differences in level or quality between pairs? The manual does say the headphone outs can be used as additional line outs but I am really curious if they (3/4) would be identical to 1/2.

Thanks!

Re: Babyface Four Outputs Matching?

And I am aware that while 1/2 is balanced, 3/4 is unbalanced but I am going into a mixer straight from the interface, so very short cables. I am only curious about the output signal.

3 (edited by ambolik 2012-04-09 17:42:16)

Hi,

3/4 can be be different from 1/2...or the same... it's as you like...
But...it wil be the same outputs on both headphones outs (interface + rear cable)

You may send 1/2 to XLR outputs, as balanced outputs (1 to XLR1 and 2 tot XLR2), and 3/4 to the headphones TRS output, as unbalanced outs (probably 3 Tip/Sleeve and 4 Ring/Sleeve)
But in this setup, you cannot use the headphones outputs for monitoring (as the same audio is provided from the 2 jacks outputs)

Regarding levels and quality, just look at the manual:
XLR 1-2 and TRS 3-4 are same quality except:
___1 & 2 are balanced, 3 & 4 are unbalanced
___1 & 2 are 75 ohms, 3 & 4 are 30 ohms
___1 & 2 levels are +15dBu/0dBFS with balanced connexions, +9dBu/0dBFS with unbalanced connexions, 3 & 4 levels are +7dBu/0dBFS (only unbalanced possible)

So I think you can directly drive your active speakers from BF, but you will probably have to lower in TotalMix 1/2 compared to 3/4, to match levels...

Asus P5Q Pro / Core 2 Quad Q9300 / 8Go DDR2 PC8500 / Win7 x64 / Sonar X1 / RME FF UFX / UAD-2 Duo x2

EDIT: Sorry for the language: I'm French!!!

Asus P5Q Pro / Core 2 Quad Q9300 / 8Go DDR2 PC8500 / Win7 x64 / Sonar X1 / RME FF UFX / UAD-2 Duo x2

Thank you for the response! I thought 1/2 and 3/4 had different DA but that's my bad, it is clear on the diagram I find on the online manual that they in fact share the same DA.

Now the only remaining question for me is: To get the exact level of output from 1/2 and 3/4 how much do I need to turn down AN1-2 in TotalMix? Since dBu is logarithmic, I am guessing a linear calculation (taking 1/2 to -2 to match 7dBu on 3/4) would not suffice. I am not good at this stuff.

I would set the levels on your mixer, using a test tone.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632