Topic: PCIe/Multiface dead!

I'll try to keep this concise, if I miss anything important, let me know.

System:
Windows 7 (32)
HDSPe PCIe card + Multiface II
Intel mobo/processor

Problem:
Windows says drivers are installed fine (firmware rev 18, driver ver. 3.27 (and tried 2.9 from cd-rom)
Red "Host" error light stays illuminated
FUT locks up whenever I click "update"
DSP settings lock up when I click the "about' tab and can't be closed/restarted
DSP settings shows "Error" in the I/O Box area

Things I've tried:
Installed in Vista 32 (same exact issue)
Installed in Windows 7 (32)
Multiple different driver versions
Re-downloaded/Re-installed drivers multiple times
Multiple uninstall, remove card, reboot, re-install procedures
Tried both PCIe x1 slots on motherboard
Checked serial # on card (229 series, not on the 226 cards listed in the forums)

I'm stuck, this sucks.  I'm unhappy, and tired of messing with it.  I've owned it for about a year now, and it worked fine on my old system, which was recently upgraded.  I was very careful about ESD while maneuvering the card; plus, Windows recognizes the card and driver just fine.  I sure hope someone else knows what's going on.

Thanks for your time,
Preston Smith

Re: PCIe/Multiface dead!

Did you try different cable?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Which Intel board?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Tried a generic cable and the silver one provided by RME.

Intel BOXDZ68BC  motherboard.

I would say the Multiface I/O box was bad, but it hasn't been touched in a year and is in a rack; also doesn't explain the software issues.

Do you still have access to the old PC (or a different computer) to check the system and make sure the problem is the RME hardware?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I do, but not until this weekend, I will let you know how it goes sometime on Saturday.

Okay!  Tried it out on another system, and it installed/operates fine!  Cursed damn motherboard.  No matter how you slice it now, I'm out a few hundred dollars.  Hopefully Newegg lets me get some return on the new board.  Is there a list of "known-working" motherboards available?

Asus M3a78 motherboard
Vista 32-bit

bump.

I really want to get this thing working with what I have.  (just have to be 1% smarter than the machine in front of you).  Now we know the card and box are a-okay (thank the stars).  I just upgraded to win 7 64-bit, did a completely fresh install, so the registry should be clear.  First thing I installed was the RME drivers this time.  I have turned OFF PCIe power control thing in BIOS.  I also disconnected the other two hard drives which have previous Windows installations (with RME drivers and whatnot) Do you guys think if I hook up the 12v power straight to the box it might help?  It is getting power (red host light is on), but maybe not proper power from the motherboard?  Why, I ask you all, would there be such a conflict between this motherboard and the RME card? since by all rights, both appear to be operating just fine.

All troubleshooting thoughts are welcome!
Preston

Did you check for a BIOS update from ASUS?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Whoops, my bad.  The ASUS board was on the alternate system, in which the 'HDSPe + Multiface II' worked fine.  The system with a problem is running Intel BOXDZ68BC motherboard.  I've been fiddling with BIOS settings in an unfortunately non-empirical fashion trying to get this to work, haha.  If I can get this working, I will let everyone know, and of course, all ideas are welcome.

And yes, I am running the most current BIOS on the Intel motherboard.

I don´t know the board, but if it has a spare pcie X16 slot you could try that too. It might just work differently enough.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Hmm, I had no idea you could hook a PCI 1x into a 16x spot?  I'm definitely going to investigate and give it a go if it's possible.  At this point I'm out of options other than reselling it and trying to pick up maybe a Fireface or something to that effect and just avoid (unfortunately) the benefits of having an independent card.  Danke