Topic: Continual Disconnects with Fireface UFX After Conversion to Windows 7

Problem
---------
-- Fireface UFX FW 400 Interface was working perfectly on Dell Computer when I was running Win XP SP3
-- After installing Win 7 32-bit on same computer (installed fresh on new hard drive), I am now getting continual disconnects of the interface
-- For example, I launch Sonar X1, insert a VST instrument track, everything works.  A few minutes later there is no audio output.
-- Another example: (1) Launch a Standalone VST instrument Korg Legacy Collection M1 and it plays fine.  (2) Close that instrument, then open a second VST instrument.  I receive a "audio error".
-- 3rd example:  Sometimes when I lauch Sibelius 7 I receive an "audio error on startup" message.
-- In all of these examples, I can fix the problem by (1) closing the music application, then (2) power off Fireface, then power on.

What is Different
-------------------
My Fireface UFX is connected via a SIIG FW400 PCIe card (has a Texas Instruments chip).  I was using this exact same card under Win XP SP3 with zero problems.  I installed Windows 7 on a bare, unformatted hard drive, using the standard Windows 7 drivers and the latest RME FW drivers.  I also have a LaCie Firewire 800 PCI card connected, which I also used on my Win XP setup with no problems.

Thoughts
----------
Given everything is identical between the XP and Win 7 hardware, I suspect I am having some type of driver or Window 7 parameter/setting issue.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to try?

I want to stick with FW since all of my USB ports are used.

Thanks.

Re: Continual Disconnects with Fireface UFX After Conversion to Windows 7

Set the Win 7 power scheme to High Performance (not Balanced) in Control Panel. Also see links here:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12742
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1704

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: Continual Disconnects with Fireface UFX After Conversion to Windows 7

Jeff, thank you for the information.

** PROBLEM SOLVED ***

I am embarassed to say it, but the problem turned out to be the end of the FW400 cable was not inserted well enough into the PCI card jack -- IDIOT USER ERROR!!!!

I was trying to figure out everything that was different and I thought I might as well check the cable connections.  They looked good, but I was able to press the FW cable more firmly into the jack.