Topic: babyface - amount of gain

Hi,
I was trying to find an answer to one thing I've been wondering about, but with no luck. When I set the input gain on Babyface to zero, it behaves as if at unity gain, therefore with minimum distortion, right? I could use that with line level input and so on. Now, if I mike a source, let's say guitar amp, and I want the input to peak at for example -14dBFS, what approach yields the best results? I guess that the less the preamp needs to drive the signal, the less distortion I'll have in the end. So I should set the source as loud as possible while the preamp gain as low as possible and find the combination that gets me to the desired dBFS values, right? Or am I completely wrong? Thanks!

Re: babyface - amount of gain

Are you wrong? Yes!
The babyface pre-amps are great, don´t be afraid to use them! They will not distort. If you apply maximum gain, they might add a little noise, but nothing compared to the noise of your guitar amp.The only reason to set the guitar amp louder would be if there is a lot of actual ambient noise in the room and you needed to over power that.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Thanks for your answer! But I'd still like to know:) I know it makes little to no difference, but what is THEORETICALLY better - loud source : low gain, or not so loud source : high gain, disregarding ambient noise or whatever. It must be the first, right?

rizzenvrinn wrote:

Thanks for your answer! But I'd still like to know:) I know it makes little to no difference, but what is THEORETICALLY better - loud source : low gain, or not so loud source : high gain, disregarding ambient noise or whatever. It must be the first, right?

In theory it makes no difference cause in theory you will get the same response cause in theory everything is equal.

Use your ears, most valve amps will distort and give a more 'pleasing sound' when driven harder. It all depends on what you are after.

As OP said the babyface pres are excellent. You will get more difference moving your mic a few mm.

Isaac P