Topic: multiface and thunderbolt adapter

hi,

my multiface works perfect in combination with the sonnet thunderbolt adapter!...but what's the correct way to mount/unmount the device?

i'm asking because with thunderbolt you don't have the "rme icon" displayed by the system (like you have when you connect the multiface via hdspe expresscard) so that you're not able to unmount the device before de-connecting it...

thanks for your suggestions!

Re: multiface and thunderbolt adapter

With correct driver installation, you should be seeing mixer and settings dialog icons as well... Or which icon are you referring to?

I haven't tested the adapter, but I don't think there is any specific need to un/mount it...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by Scheffkoch 2012-04-14 09:42:52)

...thanks for your quick reply!...
yes, i can see mixer + settings dialog...before i unplug the power supply for the multiface i close both programs and then i just unplug the thunderbolt cable...with the hdspe expresscard there was also an icon that a device is connected via expresscard and before i unplugged the card i was also able to disconnect the card itself...
since thunderbolt is kind of "plug and play" is it now possible to do that with the card/multiface too or is it still recommended to first connect the card/multiface and then switch on the computer?...

...sorry, but i have to ask again:

following the manual for the multiface it is recommended to "switch off" the card before unplugging it...since there is no chance to "switch off" a thunderbolt connection should i first switch off the multiface by unplugging the power adapter (of the multiface) and then unplug the thunderbolt cable? or is it recommended to switch off the computer before unplugging the cable/multiface?

thanks for suggestions!

Where in the manual does it say so?
None of this was written with TB in mind, the manual is a good deal older...
Expresscard is hot-pluggable, and to the best of my knowledge, so is TB. Check the Sonnet manual...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

...it's in the manual for the multiface but referring to the cardbus card...but even if expresscard is hot-pluggable wasn't it recommended to switch off the expresscard before unplugging it?...i don't want to destroy the hdspe card or the multiface so i want to make sure what's the correct way...
thanks!

Plugging out an ExpressCard on Windows without doing a Safely Remove Hardware before will often cause a BSOD.

How that works with TB is something we can not predict. Time will tell. It should work even without a pre-uninstall, but that was the case under Windows too...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by Scheffkoch 2012-04-18 15:56:20)

...thanks for your reply!
...after i quit the multiface settings and mixer program i unplugged the power outlet of the multiface first before i unplugged the thunderbolt cable/adapter...hope that was o.k...or would you recommend (to absolutely be on the "safe side") to switch off the computer before unplugging anything?

Scheffkoch wrote:

...or would you recommend (to absolutely be on the "safe side") to switch off the computer before unplugging anything?

Yes!
As it always is with hardware not fixed to the computer as USB HDs, USB-sticks, graphics cards :-) or fixed HD or CPUs (hehe) it depends on software drivers hotplugable...and can cause troubles.
I always shut down the computer (notebook or desktop) and then disconnect anything not build in...

Regards
Zapp

Regards
Zapp

...o.k...thanks for your reply!...
...my macbook pro and the adapter did not im- or explode when i just unplugged the thunderbolt cable but next time i will do it like you suggested!