Topic: TotalMix Midi Control and ASIO Direct Monitoring Issues

I have a HDSP and a HDSPe card installed. One is connected to a Digiface and one is connected to a Multiface.

I have a Mackie Control Universal Pro (MCUP).

I am running Cubase 6.5.

TotalMix has MIDI Control and Disable MIDI Control In Background checked in the options of both mixers.

1.) When Cubase is not loaded, if both TotalMix windows are open, I click on one to make it active and see that it is communicating with the MCUP. The other window is greyed on the border (not in 'focus.')

I hit the select bank arrow on the MCUP, but the bank selection moves in the other out of 'focus' TotalMix Window?

Only one window seems to be under the control of the MCUP, regardless whether it is in 'focus' or not.

2.) When Cubase is loaded but in the background, the MCUP does not regain control of TotalMix. The first bank to the top left on the input shows that MIDI Control is active (I see the change in color and the little midi symbol), but there is no communication, even though Cubase is in the background.

I know that Cubase has an option to release the audio drivers when Cubase is out of focus. Changing this setting does not change the lack of communication between TotalMix and MCUP.

3.) With 'ASIO Direct Monitoring' checked and neither with nor without Direct Monitoring activated in Cubase VST Audio device, do I get any link between the Cubase Mixer Panel and TotalMix. If I move an input fader or output fader in Cubase, there is no corresponding movement in TotalMix.

I would appreciate help with these issues.

Thank you.

DF

UFX+, ADI-648, Win 10, i7 10 core 3Ghz 64 Gb, Cubase 9, PT 12.8

Re: TotalMix Midi Control and ASIO Direct Monitoring Issues

No Mod response?

Is this posted in the wrong place?

DF

What MIDI ports did you assign to both TM?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for responding, Mathias.

The midi port that outputs from my Mackie Controller Universal Pro. More specifically, a port on a E-MU Xmidi 2x2. I don't use the USB on the Mackie, as I've found it unreliable. It is 5-pin cabled into this unit.

I'm thinking since you said "ports" that each mixer needs a separate midi port, meaning they couldn't share the same controller with Cubase.

Is that the case?

DF

Bump

Obviously. But that is not possible (obviously again) as there is only one TotalMix running, no matter how many windows you open, with just one MIDI port for everything.

The second unit is either not controllable at all, or treated ASIO-style as extension of the first, so needs to adress other higher channel numbers. I expect the first to be true, as I can't remember to have tested that myself, nor ever heard of someone trying to do this before.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias ...

I understand you to be saying that I will only be able to control one of the two TotalMix windows? Is that correct?

Presumably, that is the one operating as master?

I am confused when you say there is only one TotalMix running. I thought the TotalMix operated from the DSP and each physical unit ran a separate instantiation.

Thank you for your help.

DF

TotalMix runs in hardware, that's why every card/system has its own TM. What you see is the remote control for this hardware. This remote control software (one instance) seems not to be prepared to remote control multiple TMs via MIDI.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME