1 (edited by magicalbengt 2011-12-04 22:01:42)

Topic: Issues with Babyface, Cubase 6 and OS X

Dear forum,
I purchased the RME Babyface a few days ago along with Cubase 6 Artist. The sound is really great, but I have a few issues related to Cubase 6. I have some experience with other software, earlier versions of Cubase, and other sound hardware. However, I'm no expert and I would like some wisdom if you have to share. I've searched the forum and google without finding answers to my problems.

Issue 1)
When I connect the Babyface to my Macbook Pro I get nice stereo sound from iTunes. However, in Cubase I cannot get a stereo output - I only get one channel. In "Device Setup" after clicking "VST Audio System->Babyface" I look at my output I/O. I only have one analog port "Analog 1-4 - 1" along with several digital and reverb ports. Therefore, I cannot create any stereo buses in Cubase. If I look in Mac OS X "Audio and Midi devices" I see that my "Babyface" has "Outputs" "Analog 1-4" and it lists four output channels. How can I get access to the other three channels in Cubase?

Issue 2)
I have a Roland XV-88 synthesizer which I may connect using the MIDI interface on my Babyface. But, when I press a key on the Synthesizer as to transmit midi-info, or use any programs to communicate via midi to the XV-88, then I get a faint pop-sound in my speakers. Apparently the midi-signal is somehow transferred to the audio output of the Babyface. This is a bit disturbing. Any suggestions?

Issue 3)
I would like to be able to use my Roland XV-88 synthesizer with my newly purchased Babyface. But, then I need a way of telling Cubase which sounds are available in my XV-88 as Midi device. I've found a few text files online making it possible to partially use the sounds in the XV-88, but not the full list of sounds and not the expansion cards. I'm aware of certain softwares (MidiQuest for example) that apparently can get lists of sounds from my XV-88. But, is there any software that may convert the information in my XV-88 to a format which Cubase understands? Do I really have to write the text files line by line by hand to get access to my expansion cards?

I'm grateful for all hints and thoughts on these matters.
Best regards,
Eskil from Sweden

Technical specifications:
RME Babyface USB
Sequencer software: Cubase 6 Artist
Monitors: Genelec 8040A
Synthesizer: Roland XV-88
Computer: Macbook Pro 2 GHz, Intel Core i7, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
Operating system: OS X 10.6.8

Re: Issues with Babyface, Cubase 6 and OS X

1) In Cubase, you have to add buses for the channels you want to use. Fn+F4 key, or VST Connections menu.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by magicalbengt 2011-12-05 08:48:09)

Dear Jeff,
I know how to add buses, but as I tried to explain I can only add one channel. If I try to "Add bus" I can only select "Analog 1-4 - 1" as analog channel, I cannot select "Analog 1-4 - 2" or similar, they are not in the list of available ports. So, apparently Cubase doesn't have the information that there is more than one channel available.

Regards,
Eskil

Looks like you don't use the latest driver, version 1.63.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Dear MC,
Thank you. I did use version 1.62 since I bought my Babyface 2011-11-19, and that was the newest version online at that time. I have now upgraded to version 1.63, and now it works in Cubase 6. I had to rename a few channels manually since Cubase remembered the channel names from before, but the output works now!

Thanks for help solving that issue.

However, issue 2 and 3 are still not solved so I appreciate any help given there.

Best regards,
Eskil

2) The BF does not translate MIDI into audio in any way. Have you enabled MIDI control accidentally? Do you hear the sound if Cubase is not running?
3) Rather off-topic here, better try Gearslutz or a Cubase forum.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Long since time for this but now I'm back again for some investigations. Ok for issue 3, I'll check elsewhere - thanks.

For issue 2:
The clicks only seem to appear when I have Cubase started. However, if I quit Cubase I still get signal in the AN1/2 Software Playback each time I press a key on the MIDI-keyboard. If I raise this volume I hear strange noises similar to clicks, beeps or "boing" when I press keys on the MIDI-keyboard. Maybe I don't understand the mixer software yet, but if this issue is related to the clicks a solution of this one might help me with the other.

Do you know if and why I should get an weird audio signal on AN1/2 Software Playback if I press a key on my MIDI keyboard? Maybe this is some OSX setting, but I've tried resetting the mixer and my MIDI-settings in OS X without luck. Grateful for ideas, right now I cannot use the AN1/2 software playback because of these strange noises.

Best regards,
Eskil

...and I checked for MIDI control, it's not enabled.

It seems to be mostly a "wooden bell" general midi-like sound when I release the key, every time. But sometimes other sounds as well. You wrote that the BF doesn not translate MIDI in any way, but it seems like it sends it to some software (which I am not aware of) who does, something in the OS. Hm.