Topic: Fireface 800 pre amps

I've been doing this long enough to know there is a lot of "the emperors new clothes" talked about how certain gear has a "magic". I know that recording on certain analogue tape decks gives a sound that is far from HD but still sounds great. The question is I have a Focusrite ISA 403 mk2 that is good for vocals, but it's not just a preamp of course. I was thinking of getting the new 2 channel Focusrite preamp for ms and stuff, are the FF pre amps just as good in your opinion? After all I would just be feeding it through the FF. BTW I know the FF preamps are superb, I just want to know if you think there is any advantage in getting the Focusrite unit.

2 (edited by rockville 2012-04-29 12:29:08)

Re: Fireface 800 pre amps

I can understand why there is no reply, obviously RME arent going to say the Focusrite pre amps are superior, all I wanted to know is if they are are worthwhile alternative.

Edit a worthwhile addition is probably a better way to put it as I already own two FF800's

The FF preamps are fine.  You might be able to get a different sound from the Focusrite preamps you mention.  This may be a sound you cannot duplicate by eq or other processing.  Only you can try and decide.

There are approximately a million other ways I'd spend my money before swapping one competent preamp for another.  But that's just me.

Thanks Laurence, the preamps on my Behringer Mackie rip off desk do sound good and different, but you would expect that at the price, I think I'll put the Focusrite on the back burner for now.

rockville wrote:

BTW I know the FF preamps are superb, I just want to know if you think there is any advantage in getting the Focusrite unit.

I have no experience with the Focusrite pres, but I used the FF800 pres extensively. I would never call them "superb."  In fact, I never found them to be very good (and I know plenty of others share this opinion).  They are adequate for non critical tracks, but in my opinion they are clearly the weakest aspect of an otherwise great unit.  Looking into better pres would seem to be a very good idea to get the most our of you FF800.  Exactly what type of pres is best depends on your budget and tracking needs.

Maybe thats why RME didn't reply :censored