Topic: Multiface 1 - defective breakout box

Hello all,

I have been using a multiface 1/ cardbus combo for some years now and today the breakout box stopped connecting to the pcmcia hammerfall card.
On booting the error led flashes, some other random leds briefly light up and as soon as the pc is fully booted the error led remains lit.
I have already tried connecting it to my other computer, same story so i am pretty sure something in the breakout box is broken.
I also tested the firewire lead and all connections are ok.

On searching this forum for answers i found out i propably have a defective ic that can be swapped out, but does rme still offer this service for legacy hardware? And at what cost?

Second option would be to buy a second-hand breakout box. They seem to go pretty cheap these days, but them being so old (for electronics) i am not sure i should take the risk.

Anyone willing to give advice?

Thanks for your time,

Jan

Re: Multiface 1 - defective breakout box

I have one too. I poked around inside to see if there was anything obviously wrong (dry solder joints in the power supply). It seems the Xilinx chip is not accepting the firmware upload and all the voltages measure the same as the other box I have here so little there for me to do with it as well. Different scenario here, error light on, doesn't accept firmware. All other parts of the system are known working

GNU/Linux

update :

I briefly got it connected but something very strange is going on. When I try to play audio from analog out pair 1/2 and monitor what is happening  in totalmix  I see activity on this output pair + at random other outputs, but no sound actually is sent out.
Does this confirm  a defective ic ? Or could it be a possible power adapter failure,  IE voltage or  current  fault ?

Help, pretty please? Mods? Tech support?

If you have not done so, please try a different external power supply.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thank you Jeff, I picked  up a new power supply. Initially it still did not work but  after flashing the card and re-installing the drivers it is up and running again :-)