1 (edited by RawDepth 2012-05-14 22:44:38)

Topic: Are all AEB8-O outputs noisy like mine?

I have two AEB8-O boards I want to use with an analog summing amp. All of the AEB8-O outputs work and I have signal at the mix amp, albeit at a loss of a few dB due to them being unbalanced. BTW, both boards are jumpered for +4dBu and the mix amp is set to +4.

The real problem is, I have a lot of noise along with the signal in all 16 outputs. It sounds like a high noise floor, such as hiss mixed with what sounds like microphone wind noise, (a fluttery type of rumble.) The noise is not on the recorded tracks in the DAW because they sound clean when routed through the spdif outputs to another device. I have tried using "shielded" insert cables but all channels are still noisy. I also know the noise is not in the mix amp because when routing from the HDSP9652 to my balanced ADA8000 via toslink, the analog mix amp sounds clean.

By process of elimination, I have narrowed it down to the AEB boards. This is completely unacceptable. Is it just poor design of the outputs?

Re: Are all AEB8-O outputs noisy like mine?

This is not meant as a defence for RME, but it does seem a little counter intuitive to use 10 year old tech, to improve your sound.
A lot has changed in converter quality and noise shielding.
One thing you could try is make sure the AEB cards don´t touch the computer case. They don't have to be in a slot. If this helps you know it is the ground of your computer that is noisy. I don´t have a AEB O anymore but I don´t remember it as noisy, but I used only 2 outs for surround.
Good luck

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632