Topic: question to RME team/tech

question for RME tech
I own multiface I, and it's great for what it does (dad conversion and mixing/routing)
I use it in mastering
I need interface with 2 separate digital out,
2 questions :
1. HDSP 9652+MULTIFACE I - can they work together  in one system under total mix ?
2. can HDSP 9652 handle 2 separate digital outs ?

thanks for answer in advance

Re: question to RME team/tech

any RME person could answer my question ?
I'd really appreciate it, can't find this info on the Internet
to be more precise, I won't use both interfaces at once,
hdsp9652 would be for mastering purposes (I'll plug mytek adc/dac into it)
I have found answer for question 2. sos article says it can handle 2 separate digital out

2. The hdsp 9652 can handle quit a lot, 3 adats and one spdif, but not 2 spdif (one opt one electrical). If you switch a adat to spdif (toslink) it is identical to (if output) or replaces (if input) the electr. spdif. So you can have 2 digital outs, 1 opt 1 electr, but they will be identical. BTW I own one.
1. I´m 99.9% sure you can use a multiface and 9652 in the same machine under one driver. (the 0.1% is that I have never done it), but there is no direct routing between them, not through totalmix. You can access all in and outputs from one program though.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

hey Vincent, thanks for info,
is it possible then to have 1 mix feed to firs dac
and another to another dac ?
mytek adc accept adat on input,
I have standard mastering situation,
1 dac to analog chain
adc to DAW
and monitoring via another dac
hence I need device which can send separate mixes to digital outs (rme multiface has 2 digi outs but those share same audio)

Yes you can send one mix to adat (or 24 mixes, that´s how many adat channels) and one to spdif.
But if the multiface has adat (and I guess it does:-)) it will be exactly the same. Send one mix through adat to the mytec and the other through spdif.

But I´m not 100% sure what you are trying to do. Isn´t the mytec AD? So it sends audio, not recieves? If you list all your needed connections it might be clearer to me.

Vincent, Amsterdam

sorry for confusing you,
DAW->dac - conversion to analog->analog chain
from DAW to dac - first feed (original mix)
analog chain->adc to DAW
DAW-> dac2 -> monitoring
from DAW to dac2 - another feed (mastered song)
I need device which can accommodate 2 separate digital outs (all conversions are handled by mytek adc and dac)
according to SOS article :
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul03/a … erfall.asp
'Co-axial S/PDIF I/O is supplied on the same breakout cable as the ADAT 9-pin connection, and you can assign the first pair of ADAT ports to transmit or receive S/PDIF via optical connections instead. As existing Hammerfall users know, it's also possible to set this so the first ADAT output transmits S/PDIF and the first ADAT input still receives ADAT data, or vice versa, which is rather neat.'
If I understand it correctly, I can use 9652 adat out as spdif - first dac in my situation
and then another spdif for dac2
hope it helps

Almost 100% certain not. The crux of the SOS article is "instead". If you switch the adat out to spdif, it will receive the same signal as the electrical spdif. Only if your dac accepts adat (like the RME adi2) will this work. If you have both the hdsp9652 and multiface you can ofcourse use both spdifs or even if you add a cheaper HDSP9632 (is in my secondary system).

Maybe RME has a card that does what you need, but I can't be sure.

Vincent, Amsterdam

The RME ADI-2 can accept ADAT (first 2 channels) or optical SPDIF input, maybe one of you DACs can too.

Otherwise, Vincent is correct on all counts.

Both cards can run under one unified ASIO driver, this is no problem. The HDSP driver supports 3 or more HDSP cards of any type. The optical SPDIF out (when selected) only carries a copy of the coax SPDIF out.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

thanks Jeff for info,
is there any rme interface, with 2 separate digital outputs then ?

Fireface UC, HDSPe RayDAT and HDSPe AIO provide two independent outputs (AES/SPDIF, or SPDIF optical/coaxial see product webpage).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

on another forum someone advised me to setup adat out as spdif,
is it possible with multiface 1, and if yes, how to do it ?

many thanks for help

You check the option in the card's settings dialog... HeadScratch

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You check the option in the card's settings dialog... HeadScratch

I did,
I would really appreciate if you either give me full answer, not 'hints'
or forward me to someone from your team who can help
I love rme products, but every time I want to find answer for my question, it take ages to get it,
and as funny as it sounds, it's better to find answer from rme users then from rme support
gearslutz, or other forums are more helpful then rme techs,
it's not first or second time I stacked in between for few days with no answer:(
and it's not just me as I met few lads had same issue with you (rme tech support) not giving answers
few questions I left on this forum were never answered,
as much as I like your great product, as much I am unhappy about yours lack of support...

Hello,

if "full answers" refers to an explanation of basic functionalities, then please understand that this isn't something tech support can provide. To help efficiently, it would certainly be beneficial, if not required, for you to have familiarized yourself with basic technical terms and features such as the settings dialog (where you will find the option to switch the format of the optical output).

This forum essentially being a user forum, you may find someone willing to explain these very basics from the manual to you, though...

There is no guaranteed turnaround time for replies to topics on this forum, I'm afraid. We do offer phone support in Germany and the US, and so do distributors elswhere. As for presales questions about features, you may also turn to local retailers.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME