Topic: would i waste my money? fireface 800 cable lenght

Hi there.

I'm having some thoughts about the firewire 800 cable length. the manuals says that the format can handle long cabels.
running 5 m now, never had any trouble.
the thing is ned new setup requires just above 10 m ( guess the next one is 15 m ) so my question is:

Is 15 meter to long for a firewire 800 9 pin connection?

(i'm only running one device)

Kind regards.
Morten.

Re: would i waste my money? fireface 800 cable lenght

Hi,
In theory yes it should work. Finding good quality cable may not be easy or cheap.
Might be cheaper less problematic to run longer audio cables.

Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

3 (edited by drainaudio 2012-02-24 15:50:14)

HI, try these guys:
http://www.lindy.co.uk/

I get all of my computer cables from them for set-ups I build as they've proven to be really good quality & reasonably priced (10 year warranty too).
Have had several of their 15m FW400 cables (the clear & red vs.) in use with MOTU FW Interfaces never had an issue - yes only one device in use with cable that long.

Cheers..

hey i bought the:
15m Premium FireWire 800 Cable - 9 Pin Beta Male to 9 Pin Beta Male - Lindy 30744

The cable doesnt work, tried it on a firewire 800 wd mybook, also no result.

Even cut the back of my computer, cause i thought the thin matalplate was to thick for the haed to reach the buttom.

Did i buy the wrong cable, the beta male to male?

apriciated.

Morten.

Why are you using this cable with a WD hard drive (is it bus or mains powered), when it was purchased to use with an audio interface as the only device on this FW bus - is the cable working with the audio interface?

Never had any issues using long FW cables FW400 or FW800 with MOTU or RME gear - but then I'm only using Mac hardware not PC.

If you still have no joy then it could be one of 2 things - the quality/design of your FW hardware is such that it can't send signal that far or you've got a faulty cable (it has a 5 year warranty get it replaced).......that said I must be 50 or more FW cables into my history with this company & haven't had 1 fail yet (which doesn't mean it's impossible).

It sercently does not work with the fireface interface. I don't think there's enything is wrong with the cable, but i really need this to work. I'm almost sure it's bug somehow of incompatible hardware. My pci-e from lacie, have never rejected a cable.
I can see that LINDY makes a product called 10 m active extension, my leght required. The active (more expensive) cable could be worth it? looks like another cablehead, not really sure what the active stands fore.

could you recommend other solutions to get a 10m+ setup?

Thx.

Morten.

I've used quite long cables and shared the FF800 FW800 connection with a dual HD enclosure (Macpower Taurus); even had a FF400 added sometimes and it didn't gave me problems @ 48khz using more than 24 outputs. If total length didn't reach 15m it had to be very close to that. More than 12m for sure.
That said, if cost is not a problem I'd go with a LAN HD. Never tried one for audio, but it seems faster than FW800.

Hey People.

The cable was faulty. i took it to work and testet it on several macs and harddrives. none the less is the new premium firewire 800 9/9 moulded cable also not able to get a green light in host sad

i've testet this cable also, and strangly it works everytime but only with one single device, an icybox external harddrive.

So the cable is not faulty, but i can't use on my fireface.

I's there any way (like a cheap one) to get the fireface to understand the lindy cable?

thought 1394b was a standart, but is there something i don't understand?

kind regards.

Morten
denmark