Topic: nooob question regarding recording 8 mikes on drum kit with UFX

I have been using an apogee duet and like the quality. I am wanting to record drums live and need 8 mike inputs . I am looking into the UFX and am wondering how to do this with it only having 4 mic pres?  What different options would I have for recording drums with 8 mikes? Could I pre mix the drums in the RME mixer and assign these tracks to the 4 mic pres in the RME and later seperate these into 8 tracks on Logic for editing?

What would be my best options?

Thanks

2 (edited by thepoison606 2012-05-22 12:48:13)

Re: nooob question regarding recording 8 mikes on drum kit with UFX

What about buying another 4 Channel external Micpre?
Do you have any budget?

Daniel

guitargodxxx wrote:

Could I pre mix the drums in the RME mixer and assign these tracks to the 4 mic pres in the RME and later seperate these into 8 tracks on Logic for editing?

No.   No offense, but it seems you don't quite understand the signal flow.  You hit the pres before you get to the RME mixer, so there is no way to premix the drums as you suggest without using some external gear.  Your best option is to buy a rack of 4 external pres.  If that is not an option, I suggest you just use 4 tracks (e.g., stereo overhead, kick, snare).  Many great drum tracks are cut with with just 4 (or even 3) tracks.

For specific gear recommendations (as well as info on drum mic techniques), I would go to Gearslutz.com and use the search function.  Many, many threads address "what is the best 4 channel pre for drums with a budget of $x" type questions.

Good luck.

4 (edited by guitargodxxx 2012-05-24 02:29:53)

Thanks for the response. I do know the pres are pre mixer tongue I think I am missing something in the digital realm. How do these guys record a band like The Who and stuff that I see on Youtube? They say they use RME UFX. Is this from a digital console using adat  to input into TotalMix ? They say there is no computer involved just RME UFX. This is where I am getting confused. If so is there a small digital console with pres and adat out that can do this more effectively than buying a bunch more pres? Or am i missing something here?  Ultimately I would like a system that I can go mobile to record a live band with 16 ins and also be able to unpack these tracks in Logic for editing .

for mobile you will need something that has the capability of data storage.....   there are stand alone DAW with internal storage... 

You may be better off getting a laptop, the UFX, and  a 8 channel pre/ADAT out (or 2 if your goal is 16 or greater)...

or maybe I'm missing something

@stainless:

I think you forget, that the UFX can record direct to a usb-stick or to a external hdd. smile

7 (edited by neirbod 2012-05-24 19:51:19)

guitargodxxx wrote:

Thanks for the response. I do know the pres are pre mixer tongue I think I am missing something in the digital realm. How do these guys record a band like The Who and stuff that I see on Youtube? They say they use RME UFX. Is this from a digital console using adat  to input into TotalMix ? They say there is no computer involved just RME UFX. This is where I am getting confused. If so is there a small digital console with pres and adat out that can do this more effectively than buying a bunch more pres? Or am i missing something here?  Ultimately I would like a system that I can go mobile to record a live band with 16 ins and also be able to unpack these tracks in Logic for editing .

I think you are confusing two different things.  The "no computer" part refers to the fact that you can record direct to an external hard drive or even a USB stick without using a computer.  It has nothing to do with the number of inputs you have or need.

If you want 16 input channels you need 12 additional pres since the UFX has 4 built in.  8 of these don't need any audio to digital conversion as you can use the 8 analog inputs on the rear of the UFX.  For example, you could get an API 3124+ for four pres, and a Sytek unit for 4 more.  There are many, many options depending on your needs and budget.

For the remaining 4 pres, you'll also need some kind of converter and use the ADAT inputs on the UFX.  You don't need a digital console (although this will work).  I would look into a convert/preamp combination with ADAT outputs.  I use the Onyx 800r for this purpose, but again there are many options.