Topic: Active crossover and equalization

Hello,

I currently have a four channel active speaker system, powered by the MiniDSP. This little board gives me active crossover and equalization, with a 24 bit 48 kHz DAC.

I'm thinking of adding speakers to my system, thus requiring additional channels. The RME Multiface II product looks very appealing for this, or as a replacement of the MiniDSP in my current setup. With 24 bit 96kHz DAC, 8 analog outputs, and master volume control w/ pre-amplification, this little box is an appealing solution.

However, I'm a little uncertain as to what DSP software would be the most appropriate to control the crossover and equalization from my PC - either Linux or Windows. The MiniDSP is programmed by an advanced plugin that allows parametric equalization and filtering effects.

Also, would I be able to input a digital signal, say from my TV or other digital source, into the Multiface II, DSP the signal on my PC, and then output the analog channels form Multiface?

/Mason

Re: Active crossover and equalization

I've used "Console" in the past (had to use RME's "Loopback" function to get my PC's Media Players and such into it IIRC):

http://console.jp/en/

Any DAW host that supports your desired DSP's (VST's, DX, RTAS, etc) should work fine.

You will likely run into some lip-sync issues if trying to use an external input into such a system (especially if you plan on running "Linear Phase" type DSP X-Overs and EQ - might affect lipsync across the board), but with RME's low-latency ASIO drivers and low-latency DSP Plug-ins, you should be OK IMO...

I was actually toying with running Console with a Multiface as my Car-PC and DSP/X-Over.  Never came to fruition - but is certainly possible!!!

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Randyman... wrote:

I've used "Console" in the past (had to use RME's "Loopback" function to get my PC's Media Players and such into it IIRC). Any DAW host that supports your desired DSP's (VST's, DX, RTAS, etc) should work fine.

Thanks a lot for the link. This should get me started doing my homework.

Randyman... wrote:

You will likely run into some lip-sync issues if trying to use an external input into such a system (especially if you plan on running "Linear Phase" type DSP X-Overs and EQ - might affect lipsync across the board), but with RME's low-latency ASIO drivers and low-latency DSP Plug-ins, you should be OK IMO...

Not such a big deal, as I would primarily use this system for my active stereo system. Watching movies would be nice, but not a primary concern.

I appreciate the feedback!

Yes sir!  Happy tri-amping to you! :-P

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

I'm doing some stuff of this kind as you can see on the screenshot
The VST host is the highly recommended AudioMulch
http://www.audiomulch.com/

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/8582/audiomulchlayout.jpg

routing in the patcher any of the A/D inputs through the EQ's bank, with a precise re-aligning of inter channel time /phase before sending out to the D/A stage
(in my case, an HDSP 9652 + ADI 8QS)

HDSP9632, HDSP9652, ADI-8QS, FFUC, Quadmic II