Topic: Multiface and PCI card problem

Hi,

All was well.

Then audio would occasionally be distorted in Logic, then...

The DSP Mixer keeps trying to load and when it does it keeps 'taking
focus', e.g. if I'm in Finder then it will take focus away.

DSP settings won't load.

Multiface shows no error light when Mac is booted up.

Logic doesn't work with card.

Tried Flash tool but it says no HDSP Driver or Card present.

Card shows up in System Profiler:

pci10ee,3fc5:

Type:    Audio
Driver Installed:    Yes
Bus:    PCI
Slot:    SLOT-2
Vendor ID:    0x10ee
Device ID:    0x3fc5
Revision ID:    0x0032

Mac Dual G5
2gig RAM
No other cards except graphics
No other changes to software or hardware

Please help!

Steve

Re: Multiface and PCI card problem

Hi Steve,
You need to make sure you are using this driver and this firmware if you are using the HDSP PCI card on the G5.
The newer driver is for Intel Macs and PCI-e cards only.

Mac OS X

hdsp_16c.gz   
Mac OS X PPC (10.3 or up) driver for Hammerfall DSP System, version 1.6c (2) 12/16/2008. Supports PCI card, CardBus, Digiface, Multiface, RPM, HDSP 9652, HDSP 9632. See readme.txt for important notes!

fut_mac_dsp.gz
Mac OS X PPC Flash Update Tool for Hammerfall DSP System. Updates PCI- and CardBus card to hardware revision 15/53, HDSP 9652 to 108, HDSP 9632 to 152. Requires driver 1.6 or higher. 02/17/2009.
Attention: Users of HDSP PCI Rev. < 1.8 and the flat HDSP CardBus (15-pin connector) please carefully study the included readme before performing the flash update.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Re: Multiface and PCI card problem

Hello,

I know bumping a two year old thread does sometimes not make sense but in this case I think sharing my today's experience can't be wrong.

The same problem happened to me, almost the same way Steve was describing it except for one difference: the card did not show up any longer - no matter if I booted with OS X 10.4.11 which was supposed to work as I checked it yesterday when upgrading this oldtimer (Dual G5 @ 2GHZ, PowerMac 7,3) to OS X 10.5.8 or booting into Leopard that has been installed onto a new partition.

After giving several webpages incl. the RME forum a deep read I came to the conclusion that changing the PCI port (no idea why I had this on my mind) could be a last solution - well, the Hammerfall DSP that worked flawless in all the years (2006-2012) and didn't feel like showing up in Apple's System Profiler any longer now works again.

Maybe this information comes handy to anybody out there getting into the same situation.

Regards
Ralf