Topic: Anyone using a usb 3.0 port successfully? Which Controller?

Just wondering if any users have had success with a particular PCIe usb adapter and which usb 3.0 controller it uses.  My usb 3.0 port has an ASMEDIA controller and while itunes and system audio is fine, the asio stream in Cubase is glitchy.  What's weird is that I can start a new project fine, but older projects with lots of tracks cannot play back properly.  The only free bus on my mobo is connected to the front ports so I was thinking of adding a PCIe usb card.  Most of the new usb adapters are usb 3.0 however.

If there's anyone successfully using their usb 3.0 port or an adapter card, please chime in with the controller or a brand.

Re: Anyone using a usb 3.0 port successfully? Which Controller?

Hi,
The Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 chip works OK as long as you are using the latest driver and firmware for it.
Some of new motherboards are coming with the ASMedia USB 3 controller which I have heard some builders having across the board compatibility issues with.
Not sure if there are improved drivers or firmware available yet for the ASMedia.
You will get best results using the USB 2.0 ports either way.

If you are using USB 3 for hard drives or video capture make sure that there are only USB 3 devices attached to it.
If you just need more USB ports then it is best to get a USB 2.0 controller card.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

ChrisLudwig wrote:

You will get best results using the USB 2.0 ports either way.

Could you tell me why that may be?  I have the option of using a crowded USB 2 bus or a USB 3 PCIE port that doesn't need to share.  Is USB 2 still the safer bet for me?  I really on't want to run into an issue when I have a client over so I'd rather go w/ whatever is the most stable.  I haven't had my UFX long enough to run into software issues but basic hardware and total mix tests are working fine on USB 3 so far.

Hi Bowie,
In most cases the current Renesas USB 3 controllers will work fine with no noticeable performance change.
Most current motherboards that come with the Renesas chip use the a more recent firmware and driver that works correctly.

The best way to tell if your USB 3 controller is working well is to load up a large CPU heavy project that have and see how low of a buffer you can it at on the USB 3. The do the same test on the USB 2 port.

Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Just an update:  I found a USB 3.0 PCIe card with a Renesas (NEC) chipset uPD720202, which seems to be the newest chipset available.  Looks like it works without issues on the projects that were giving me trouble with my mobo usb 3 ports.

I had to search for and install the drivers manually but it wasn't too difficult.  Want to update the firmware but there's no .exe, just a .mem file, which I have no idea how to use.

The card cost me $11 shipped from China:  USB 3.0 PCIe Card

Drivers + Firmware Here:  Station Drivers

Anyone know how to use a .mem file to update firmware for this card?