Topic: How to upgrade to ADI-8 QS

Hi, I have an RME9632 with the 4 channel analogue out extension.  I really need a couple more channels and the volume control of the ADI-8QS seems attractive

OK, how to best get audio out of my linux machine into the ADI-8 QS?  I guess it's not possible to get 8 channels out of the 9632?  So, what's my next best card?  PCI Express is preferred if supported under linux since PCI slots are hard to come by now...  I also really need an SPDIF input into the system (will the ADI-8QS give me that anyway?) 

Grateful for some pointers on the best card choice here (exclusively linux here)

Thanks

Ed W

Re: How to upgrade to ADI-8 QS

ewildgoose wrote:

OK, how to best get audio out of my linux machine into the ADI-8 QS?  I guess it's not possible to get 8 channels out of the 9632?

Of course it is... The HDSP 9632 has ADAT I/Os, which will connect directly to the QS. You will get 8 channels up to 48k, and 4 channels at 96k.

In case you are referring to the 9636, you actually have two ADAT channels, and you can get 8 channels at 96k also...

So, what's my next best card?  PCI Express is preferred if supported under linux since PCI slots are hard to come by now...  I also really need an SPDIF input into the system (will the ADI-8QS give me that anyway?)

The QS does not, but the 9632 (and 9636) have an SPDIF I/O.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: How to upgrade to ADI-8 QS

Thanks Daniel

Wider question though - if I wanted 96Khz+ for 8 channels (or more?) then what is my next card up to look at?  The MADI seems to cover me up to multiple ADI units (which could be interesting, but only in the future).  However, it would seem that a 9636 or 9652 type of thing would at least give me my SPDIF input, but I'm not clear if a) it would give me enough connectivity for 8 channels of 96/192Khz connectivity, b) more than 8 channels (for future capacity) c) if the PCIe versions work under linux?

Could you please give me a rough idea on linux compatibility on the PCIe cards and also clarify whether I should be debating moving to one of the digital 96xx cards or jump for a MADI card?  Really need some help getting up to speed on the capabilities of each please...

Thanks