Topic: Routing Total Mix effects to output for recording

Hello from a noob

Just got the Babyface and am excited to start using it. However, I don't feel that the manual was written for my intelligence level.

I'm using an older macbook, running OS Lion and Digital Performer 7. I've started messing with it, and can get audio to a track. I can hear the effects while tracking, however none of the effects are being recorded. From what I've read, I don't think this can be done. However, I've also noticed that it may be possible with the loopback feature if the audio is temporarily assigned to a bus, and then re routed to the mains??
Confused, for sure.

What I'm looking to do is simplify my TotalMix layout on my macbook. I'm using the Babyface essentially for mobile recording while on the go, i.e. One input for electric guitar -inst, and one input for vocals -XLR. I'm confused with the layout of TotalMix . I take it that AN is analog, What is AS?, I also don't need Adat stuff on there and have hidden it already. I have a lot to learn -and will get there eventually.

Can anyone get me pointed in the right direction?

I have to admit, I've never heard anything so clean before!!

Thanks!

Re: Routing Total Mix effects to output for recording

FX recording can be done with the Loopback feature. The output channel replaces the effect-less corresponding input. AN1/2 > AN1/2. It's just like a patch cable from output 1/2 to input 1/2 - without the cable. Easy to understand, easy to do.

AS = ADAT 1/2 or SPDIF. Depends how you setup the digital format of the optical I/O.

best regards
Knut

Re: Routing Total Mix effects to output for recording

Hey Admin Knut:

Right you are!

Thanks for the hand!