1 (edited by JL 2012-05-23 12:23:10)

Topic: OSC Stand-alone

Sorry for posting a somewhat general question in this thread.

Hi, i'm trying to figure the remote control things out as well as trying to find music-related use for the ipad. Ultimate aim would be replacing my live synth rig mixer (Yamaha LS9) with UFX or something, preferably without a computer.

I understand all this osc buzz does not apply to operation in stand-alone mode, and stand-alone is only mackie control protocol and basic midi? The biggest issue for me is there's only 6 recallable setups in stand-alone mode. Would it be possible to work around this limitation with an ipad midi controller (such as touchosc with only midi ctrl) with pre-configured values? Would there be possibility of these great looking osc templates working some day in stand-alone mode?

Re: OSC Stand-alone

Using OSC in Stand-alone mode is currently not possible, and there is no info if that will ever be available. Most probably not as it requires a lot of ressources that the UFX no longer has.

IMHO the better idea is to use a cheap netbook or ultrabook that costs less than an iPad, but allows full remote without limitations by running TotalMix FX. That would be the way to go then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have had this thought for relying on DURec to carry out recording, just using my Atom-based HP Mini to do the control job. 

But this does not meet the stated minimum requirements for the UFX, which would appear to be based on the computer power necessary to handle USB bus requirements, regardless of whether one is recording on the netbook or not.

Could you please clarify in terms of the above statement that appears to indicate that using a netbook just to run TotalMix does not need the full processing power requirements set out in the minimum specs.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

The stated minimum requirements are for using the UFX to record and playback audio - not to just use the computer as remote control for TM FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by JL 2012-05-24 09:07:06)

Thanks for your answer Matthias.

I've thought about cheap netbook alternative as well but then there would still be the limitation of 8 snapshots in totalmix. Of course using a netbook for full totalmix does not rule out using some other controller as well. The main idea was to use a controller to store and recall the volume and other necessary settings no matter if the interface is in stand-alone mode or totalmix. This mainly to work around the limitation of 8 snapshots or 6 setups in standalone mode. With a computer it would be possible to use workspaces with the workspace quick select dialog which seems to be quite nice. If only that would have the ability to load workspaces via midi.

I'd be interested in minimum computer specs to run tmfx as well!

So the CPU load for USB handling will change depending on the number of channels being used for recording/playback?

I assume this is the case even if the recording is by means of Global Record in DigiCheck?

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum