Topic: fader gain value map

Does anyone know if there is a simple formula for converting 16-bit fader values to fader gain (dB) in TotalMix? The same question applies to MIDI control of fader gain (14-bit pitch bends or 7-bit control changes), but I assume that those are a simple task of multiplying the MIDI value by 2^2 or 2^9 and then applying the same 16-bit conversion. On the RME website (http://www.rme-audio.de/en_support_tech … x_hardware), it just says "Faders: 16-Bit resolution, equals 65536 steps, which are provided following a special function for correct perception." The "special function" appears to be approximately logarithmic (as it should be), but isn't exactly logarithmic. I am trying to make a software function that will control the mixer gain via MIDI for controlling output levels for auditory experiments, and this special function would make that a lot easier. I would appreciate any info that you can provide.
Thanks
-Eric

Re: fader gain value map

Bump. Is there any information on this? Is anyone from RME tech support active on here? I tried emailing RME tech support directly and similarly got no response...

We are not willing to give out internal information like this one, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the response, Matthias. That is fair enough. I guess I will have to spend some time making a lookup table...