1 (edited by tigersoul 2012-05-31 21:34:09)

Topic: A simple way of switching between monitors and headphones?

Hi!

I'm looking for a quick way of switching between monitors and headphones on my babyface. Till now I've been pushing the volume dial on the interface to mute the speakers and then mute/unmute the headphones through the totalmix interface. This is not exactly optimal. Best scenario the volume dial push would switch output between monitors and headphones (muting one, unmuting the other). I did try adding phones as speaker b which allowed this to be setup in "keyboard setup" but here the mixes are linked and I can no longer have a fx return setting on the headphones unique to the one for main out.

(By the way I am accomplishing the push to mute function on the volume dial by setting the dim to -65 to effectively make it a mute button instead of a dim)

There must be better ways here, any ideas?

Re: A simple way of switching between monitors and headphones?

I did my own homecooked little thing:

First I set up two mute groups where group 1 means mute the headphones and group 2 means mute the monitors. This means that pressing both mute group 1 and 2 will effectively toggle the output between monitors and headphones.

Next I set up F7 and F8 in the key commands setup of totalmix to toggle mute group 1 and 2.

Now I wrote an Applescript that will, when run, check if totalmix is open, and if it is switch to totalmix sending F7 and F8, then returning back to the previously focused application.

Finally we need a way to run this from a keyboard shortcut. I already use BetterTouchTool so this was the logical choice but any app doing keybaord shortcuts -> launch programs will do. I set the F5 key to run the script as this key is unused and readily available without any modifier keys.

SOO, now when I click F5 on my mac, I toggle between monitors and headphones. This might come handy for others wanting the same on mac. On PC you could probably do the same using something else to substitute the applescript. Autoit comes to mind.

Here is the script:

delay 0.1
tell application "System Events" to set totalmixIsRunning to (name of processes) contains "TotalmixFX"
if totalmixIsRunning then
    tell application "Totalmix" to activate
    delay 0.1
    tell application "System Events" to key code 98
    tell application "System Events" to key code 100
    tell application "System Events" to keystroke tab using {command down}
end if

HOWEVER, I certainly wish someone will chime in here telling me an easier way to do this.

I'm also interested.  With all the great  routing options you'd think there'd be some easier monitoring solutions.

> and I can no longer have a fx return setting on the headphones unique to the one for main out.

I don't understand why there should be different reverb/echo amounts on phone and speakers if you just want to use one or the other (which is perfectly done by the Speaker B functionality).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I figured the entire signal chain was identical between speaker A and B, I'm not sure I remember things correctly now but as far as I remember the entire mix chain including levels and mutes etc were shared between A and B speaker paths and this will of course cause a problem when I want mic monitoring in the headphones but NOT in the monitors.

If it's just the effect return amount that is linked and nothing else then I guess it would work just fine as I have no monitoring in the monitors path anyway. I'll revisit that approach and see if this knob is the ONLY thing shared between A/B.

No, I was right, signal chains are shared entirely when using the B speaker functionallity. I can see the use for this, but it's also a huge limitation and there should be a switch to override this behavior. In fact it's weird how this simple thing I want to do isn't thought of by anyone as it seems, it must be used all the time?

Not at all. The standard use is to connect two different monitor speakers and switch between them. That's why only the EQ/Dyn is individually available, the rest is linked.

> cause a problem when I want mic monitoring in the headphones but NOT in the monitors.

There is no problem to do this in TM, as each submix is fully individual and independent. I still don't get why you have to 'switch' between them, means mute one or the other. What is the purpose of all this and how is it used (the whole setup)?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Not at all. The standard use is to connect two different monitor speakers and switch between them. That's why only the EQ/Dyn is individually available, the rest is linked.
- I figured this was the intended use, where this behavior is fully logical.
> cause a problem when I want mic monitoring in the headphones but NOT in the monitors.

There is no problem to do this in TM, as each submix is fully individual and independent. I still don't get why you have to 'switch' between them, means mute one or the other. What is the purpose of all this and how is it used (the whole setup)?

- When I set the headphones as 2nd main there is no longer separate mixes as far as I can see. Clicking headphones, then monitors reveals that the mixes are linked. If I move a fader in one of them, then switching to the other the change persists.

- The reason is that I switch alot between recording using headphones w monitoring, then switching to monitors to look closer at the recording. This all goes on in the same room which calls for the need to mute the monitors while recording. I wouldn't necessarily need to mute the headphones when listening through the monitors but I use open headphones and they actually leak enough sound to be disturbing when listening with the monitors and here comes the need to switch back and forth in an easy way. I don't have the best of accoustics in the room either meaning I often switch between monitors and headphones to check the mix.

It's not exactly a huge need, but I found myself doing this manually time after time and felt the need to make that easier. I probably do things in a weird way since it's not a standard feature wink

So we are talking about the single vocalist/producer/musician all-in-one working in front of the DAW while performing. Muting the speakers and headphones crosswise with a single click is not possible, we will think about a solution. At this time I would recommend not to take off the phones after each take, but use them to listen to the recording too. Changing between the mix sound (main) and the wet monitoring sound just requires a single click (Cue on the output channels having the monitor mix).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

THanks, I hadn't thought about the cue feature, I always mute the microphones instead but that's two clicks. This was however not the reason that I didn't stay with the headphones. The thing is that I have a set of closed back monitoring headphones that aren't very good for mixing so I'd have to switch headphone anyway and then I usually rather go to monitors. It's probably an unordinary thing to do. On the other hand there are more uses for this for small scale people. If a one button switch was possible you could also connect a second set of monitors to the headphones output, perhaps a set of typical computer speakers, and easily check your mix on both. As always there are better ways for this if you get something to hook up to the ADAT but small scale musicians always try to cream out as much as possible from what they did put their money on.

Either way, including this as a possibility (even if it may be a small number of people wanting this) it'd still be very welcome. For now I'll run my script to do it.

"Muting the speakers and headphones crosswise with a single click is not possible, we will think about a solution"

yes, all the lonely people with similar needs as above would appreciate such.

Definitely, and I can report from using my user solution with the applescript that I am using this ALL THE TIME, it's really helping alot!

>"Muting the speakers and headphones crosswise with a single click is not possible, we will think about a solution"

This would make A/B with open back headphones a breeze

I must admit I work in a very similar way so this type of feature would be very useful.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Also interested in this as a feature on Arc USB. I switch from monitors to headphones all the time and going into TM every time gets a little tedious.

16 (edited by hselters 2021-12-14 20:42:46)

I agree,
also using workarounds here with mute groups etc., as the Speaker B option does not work when using speaker/room/headphone correction plugins in the monitoring paths, as those result in different software playback channels and switching to speaker b is locked to the same mix as 'a'.

+1 vote for this. It would be really handy.

+1!

Was this ever solved?

I solved it in Cubase using the control room and setting headphones as different speakers.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.