Topic: Why can I not get 24/96 playback thru my Multiface via SPDIF?

Hello,

Yesterday - I did a small reconfig of my RME Multiface II layout. I added my Music Hall 25.2 DAC into the mix - which I want to use to convert the SPDIF stream from the Mulitface to analog (FLAC playback from J.River Media Center). Everything is connected correctly - and I am using ASIO - but no matter what I try - I cannot play a 24/96 FLAC file from J.River using SPDIF OUT of the Multiface to the DAC.

J.Media posts a number of errors regarding playback of any 24/96 file - all of them logical. I just do not know where the problem is.

Oddly - even if I examine the Windows 7 Sound Properties dialog and select the RME Hammerfall SPDIF device item and click Properties - under the Supported Formats tab - in the sample rates area - I only see 44.1 as an option. Should I not see both 44.1 AND 96 khz?

So - is it a clocking issue? Is something else that I have connected to the Multiface (like my Pod XT Pro - which IS connected to the SPDIF in connector) maybe causing the sample rate to lock in at 44.1?

Appreciate any tips on what the issue is here....before I start asking same on other boards like over at J.River.

Cheers,

VP

Re: Why can I not get 24/96 playback thru my Multiface via SPDIF?

In slave mode you can not change the sample rate. Set the MF to Internal/master and it will work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

In slave mode you can not change the sample rate. Set the MF to Internal/master and it will work.

Thanks! That worked. However - yesterday - when I had Clock Source set to Internal - I kept getting a flashing light by SPDIF on the front panel? I read elsewhere that this meant that SPDIF was able to "lock" but not sync. I do not seem to have that flashing light today after switching clock source to Internal. Any ideas why?

Also - what exactly do the SPDIF Out options represent within the Hammerfall DSP settings panel? Should I have Optical on or Professional? I connected the Multiface SPDIF to the Music Hall via coaxial SPDIF cable.

VP

Both no. Optical enables the adat as spdif, prof AES on the spdif.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

Both no. Optical enables the adat as spdif, prof AES on the spdif.

Thanks! Both are unchecked now.

Cheers,

VP