1 (edited by davidud 2012-06-03 14:32:13)

Topic: A couple of noob questions!

Hello, I'm very interested in recording and mixing etc. I've been doing it for quite some time but I've never gone much in depth in signal pathing(In which order everything should be) and also I'm not that knowledgeable in some of the outputs and their uses on audio interfaces (and pre-amps). The reason because why I've never gone in depth in those kind of things is because I've never really had my own studio, and where I've recorded and mixed, most of the stuff was already working and ready to go.

So I have a few questions and if someone has the time to answer one or more of them I'd greatly appreciate it!

First off!... I have a Babyface- if I were to get another pre-amp (with ADAT) and simply plug it into my babyface, would that be 'it' and I could start recording directly through the microphone inputs?

Secondly!... I'm currently looking at the backside of the 'OctaMic II' and it has(like most others probably) a few balanced line outputs. As I said I'm not experienced in this area so could you please give me an example in which you would use these outputs? (maybe include some sort of signal chain?)

Third!... Hardware reverbs, delays, compressors etc. Say I'm mixing drums and I want to place a hardware reverb on the snare. Where in the signal path would I place the reverb? and how would I go about plugging it in/recording the reverb? (in correlation to the audio-interface/pre-amps etc.)

That's probably it for now, I hope you understand my questions, otherwise please say and I'll try to clarify.

- David U

Re: A couple of noob questions!

Hi David,
The Octmic is an AD converter only. The analog outputs of the Octamic are a split from the Mic/Line inputs.
They do not act as a return from your DAW.
Since the Octamic is a Analog to Digital converter only it will only be able to add analog inputs to your Babyface's ADAT ports.
So if you are using the Octamic then you will end up with 10 analog inputs but still only have the 4 analog outputs built into the Babyface. So the ability to us external effect although possible is very limited and difficult to work with.

You would need an AD/DA converter such as the RME ADI-8 DS or ADI80 QS. These will add an additional 8 line inputs and 8 line outputs to your Babyface. There are also 3rd Party 8 channel AD/DA converters ay varying price and quality.

Another option would  be to use a larger I/I audio interface such as the Fireface UCX or UFX.
The UCX has 8 analog I/O while the UFX has 12 analog I/O. They both have ADAT and SPDiF or AES I/O for futher expansion.

If you are already thinking about recording drums and using external effect hardware then it seems you have already out growing your Babyface.

If you want to start using external gear with your DAW then you would need dedicated line level I/O for each effect.
For each stereo effects device you would need 2 inputs and 2 outputs. on your audio interface dedicated to that piece of gear.

So an audio interface with multiple analog I/O like the Fireface UCX or UFX, or a stand alone 8 channel AD/DA plugged into your Babyface would allow for this to be possible.

You would access you external effect gear from within your DAW using it's built in options ofr adding external gear into the signal chain.
All of the major DAW programs offer the ability to do this. Cubase, Sonar, Pro Tools, Logic and reaper being common examples.
If you look in their operations manuals you will see info on how to set this up. External Effects, External Inserts, External Aux busses, etc is what they will be called.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Okay, cool! Actually I'm not using external effects just yet. Currently I'm just trying to learn a bit more about the more technical aspects.

But if I got an Octamic, could I record all 10 inputs at the same time to my DAW?

What is the purpose of the "balanced line level output"'s on the Octamic preamp normally used for? effects? (if we ignore the fact that I have a babyface)

I still don't quite get the purpose of AD vs AD/DA either, I understand what they do but I can't really see the big picture to be honest.. Probably because I'm not sure what I would use those outputs for;

- David U

The line level outputs are handy in for example a live situation. You could send them to the front of house mixer while simultaneously recording them. Just see it as an eight channel mic preamp with the choice of analogue or digital out. Or you could use the mic preamps in a situation where the audio interface used has only line level analogue ins and no digital ins (or if they are already in use). In your case the are of no use (yet).

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632