Topic: Recording guitar with Fireface UFX

Sounds like a ridiculously simple question but which is the preferred hardware input to record guitar? 

I have been using my 100 watt tube amp head (Suhr PT100) into an attenuator(Aracom 150PRX-DAG) which has a Line Level output for recording into Analog input 3 on the rear of the unit and it has been great but there's not much flexibility in control with respect to gain, basically 3 options, -10,+4 and LoGain.  The reason the is bad is that since my amp has 3 channels with 3 different levels, I find it laborious every time I switch channels on the amp, I need to tweak the line level out of the attenuator to avoid clipping.

Is it better to use one of the front inputs because of the ability to control the input gain?  What is the downside,if any, in quality of using the front Mic inputs as opposed to the rear analogs?

Re: Recording guitar with Fireface UFX

The front inputs are designed for a direct connection from the guitar, when "Inst" is selected for the channel. The rear inputs, designed for line level, make more sense with your amp & attenuator.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks for the quick response, Jeff. 

Is there some way to set the gain on the rear inputs other than the just the 3 different settings in TMix?  The reason I'm asking is because the recording I made today was fairly low even though it was set on the highest sensivity and I needed to normalize the recording to bring the track up to an audible level.  It just doesn't seem right.

Is there some way to set the gain on the rear inputs other than the just the 3 different settings in TMix?

Sorry, no.

The reason I'm asking is because the recording I made today was fairly low even though it was set on the highest sensivity

Which setting did you use?

and I needed to normalize the recording to bring the track up to an audible level.  It just doesn't seem right.

Why not adjust the attenuator output until the level is higher?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

The dynamic range of an electric guitar' played through a guitar amplifier is quite low, compared to the one of the AD converters of the interface. That means even after normalizing the 'too low recording' you don't loose anything. In silent or low volume moments you will not hear noise or distortion from the ADC, but only the usual stuff creeping out of the amp.

The level meters in TM, even more in DIGICheck, can visualize what I mean. Have a look...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by Gabaghoul 2012-06-10 04:47:52)

To answer Jeff's questions, I just checked and the input was set to -10dbv and yes, I did raise the output of the signal coming out of the attenuator in the end.  It was just frustrating for me because every time I switched channels, I needed to go back to the attenuator and reset the levels.  I couldn't just increase or decrease the gain level from my computer but its really no biggie.  The sound was awesome and that's what really matters.

But than Matthias comes along and from what I can tell from his response, it seems it doesn't really matter what the level of unit is set to because the interface will always capture the full signal.  If that is the truth, than that is absolutely incredible and this is truly an amazing piece of tech.  No longer do you have to tickle the 0db(red) to get the best signal.  Just normalize and it's done.  Sounds like the equivalent of a RAW format in photography.   Am I hearing that right or am I way off the mark?

Maybe a little bit exaggerated, but yes. 20 years ago everyone made sure the AD conversion was driven near 0 dBFS all the time to not lose sound quality. I expect that even at -30 dBFS as highest level you will not lose something (in your specific application - in other cases this might be critical). AD conversion has gone a long way and is really good these days...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That's awesome.  So I guess as long as I get it above -30db, I'm good. I can deal with that.  Thanks for all your help.