1 (edited by Drak 2011-10-02 20:41:59)

Topic: New Babyface PIcking Up Computer noise through monitors.

Hi there, sorry if this had been asked and dealt with in the past.

I just purchased a new Babyface, and brand new XLR to XLR cables for it, which are plugged into the XLR outs on the breakout cable on the Babyface and into my monitors. Prior to this, I was using a Delta 1010lt with unblanaced RCA  to XLR cables for my monitors. With this prior set up, I had no issues at all, everything was dead quiet.

As soon as I plugged the Babyface into the monitor cables I instantly heard a light but very noticible high pitched noise, which seems to be the noise generated from the computer. You can hear computer noises through the monitors change when different processes are happening,  for example, you can hear the light scratching sound of the hard drive coming into the monitors when the DAW (Reaper) is loading, or sounds when the mouse is moved.  The overall computer noise  gets even louder when Reaper is loaded up on the screen.

I've tried different USB inputs, and noticed that some are not quite as loud as others, but still very noticible regardless. I have everything running into one powerbar, with the computer power cable connected into a Humx device before it plugs into the powerbar. The only items plugged into the powerbar are the computer, LCD display screen, and the power cables from the monitors. The barpower then plugs directly into the wall. As I said, I never had this problem before with the older 1010lt card. BTW, the Delta 1010lt is still connected to the PCI slot, but the breakout cables are not connected to it, and it's been disabled under device manager.

I'm going to bring my laptop into the studio and install Babyface on it to see if the same issue occurs.

Help?

2 (edited by Drak 2011-10-03 03:16:42)

Re: New Babyface PIcking Up Computer noise through monitors.

Update:

This issue obviously has something to do with my desktop computer. It's an Intel Quad core 8200, 8 gigs of ram.

I installed Babyface onto my laptop, and brought it into my studio. I ran Babyface and Reaper on laptop battery power and it was crystal clear with no noise through the monitors. I then plugged the laptop into the exact same powerbar as the noisy desktop, and still, no noise on the monitors through the laptop. So for some reason my desktop is noisy. Is this a problem with desktop setups in general, or do I just happen to have a lemon of a computer with this set up? Any suggestions for a fix? Sorry I'm a noob. I just hope I don't have to buy a new system.

Edit: Seems noisy USB ports are pretty common. I have 10 USB ports on this machine, 8 in the back, and 2 on the front. Seems like a ridiculous amount. All of them were tested, and all are noisy. I suppose this is a ground loop issue with the computer's power supply?

You have ground loop problems. Obvious - when running on laptop battery power, computer is not grounded and you get no noise on monitors.

It is not necessarily computer's power supply issue in general, but in your case it seems it is.

I own two HP notebooks HP8730w (which in the same situation as yours produces NO noise) and HP8710w which is noisy as f....

Solution: insulating tape on AC plug's ground loop pins. Not ideal but works.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

Heads up in case anyone else has a similar problem.

I took my PC into a tech shop and we tried installing a new powersupply. The sounds were still coming through. What fixed it was a PCIe USB card. We installed that, hooked the babyface up to it, and the sound is now clean. The onboard USB slots are dirty, the new PCIe card isn't, so if anyone else runs into this issue it's worth a shot, it worked for me. The USB card was 37 bucks.

Nice to see that worked! The additional USB ports bring another nice feature - your BF now has its own USB 2.0 controller.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias!

8 (edited by E_R_I_C 2012-04-29 03:56:49)

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I have a similar issue.  I just installed my new baby (Snow edition), and I can hear noise when I move the mouse along with a little static during normal playback.  I haven't yet tried a project with haevy track/ plugin count.

Dell Vostro Core 2 Duo
WIN XP  (I know it is old)
Wireless mouse/ KB

1.  Would an express USB 2.0 card help by giving the babyface its own BUS?

2.  Can you recommend a source for a known good express USB card?

THANKS!!
-e

--edit--  I am not using monitors (Shure SRH440 cans)

E_R_I_C wrote:

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I have a similar issue.  I just installed my new baby (Snow edition), and I can hear noise when I move the mouse along with a little static during normal playback.  I haven't yet tried a project with haevy track/ plugin count.

Dell Vostro Core 2 Duo
WIN XP  (I know it is old)
Wireless mouse/ KB

1.  Would an express USB 2.0 card help by giving the babyface its own BUS?

2.  Can you recommend a source for a known good express USB card?

THANKS!!
-e

--edit--  I am not using monitors (Shure SRH440 cans)

Hi Eric,

The card I purchased was from StarTech. It is a "2 Port PCI Express SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Controller Adapter Card" (full title). Model PEXUSB3S2

But I suspect any decent brand would work.

Drak

Thanks!  I probably had the issue before with my Edirol interface, only the noise floor covered it up. 

-e

I just wanted to post an update.  I bought an express card USB 2.0 and that is where I connect my wireless mouse and KB.  Now there is NO noise.  Thanks!