Topic: HDSPe AIO on Windows 7 = Blue Screen

Hello,

I just got my brand new i7 Core 920 machine.   It's loaded with an Intel DX58SO motherboard, i7 Core 920 chip, 6 gigs of triple-channel Kingston RAM and 3 Teras of WD hard disks.   A nice little machine.

Installing Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, everything seemed fine.   Downloaded the lastest RME drivers + Firmware, looked good.

Now, the PC goes to blue screen or grinds to a complete halt as soon as I use the HDSPe AIO card.   I didn't even install my Nuendo 4 yet!  I'm just playing MP3s or AVIs with Media Player and that's all I need to a major crash.    The blue screen says "STOP 0x00000101..." so I tried to find some info on the web, found out it maybe is an interrupt problem.

Now, I tried changing PCIe slots, tried updating the BIOS, de-install, re-install, etc...  Nothing works.   My new PC works perfect when I take the HDSPe AIO card out.

The card itself works OK on my older PC, I'm running Windows XP SP3 x32.   Now, I'm clueless, is it a bug with RME & Win7 x64?   I tried searching the forum here, saw one or two posts with similar problems, but no fix yet.

Let me know if you got some ideas, I'm out of inspiration!  Thanks in advance.

Marc Girard
www.marcgirard.com

Re: HDSPe AIO on Windows 7 = Blue Screen

Could it be a problem with my DX58SO motherboard?   I've googled on this product, many "pro" users are having PCIe problems (some pro video capture cards, other pro audio sound card, even Universal Audio says that the UAD-2 ain't compatible with the DX58SO).  So I'm wondering, is this simply a bad product?  Is it a combinasion of Win7 x64 with that m/b?   I'm clueless still...

Khorus wrote:

Could it be a problem with my DX58SO motherboard?

Yes, it's a compatibility problem with Intel DX58SO.  This motherboard does not work with either HDSPe AIO nor HDSPe MADI.

It's not Windows 7.  It will also crash with with Windows Vista and XP. 

Try a different i7 motherboard.

Do you know if we got the same problems with the RME RayDat?

I did try to install WinXP, WinXP x64 and Win7, all the OSes crashed with my AIO in there.

Any official word from RME?  Matthias?

This board seems to be problematic indeed: http://www.blackmagic-design.com/suppor … techID=192

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Contacted Intel, they said they had no issues about compatibility on the DX58SO!    RME, Universal Audio, BlackMagic Design, Hauppauge, and even Lynx users experienced problems!   I tried the ASUS P6T this afternoon, seems like a good replacement for the DX58SO, the system looked stable, more to come on this later.

Khorus wrote:

Contacted Intel, they said they had no issues about compatibility on the DX58SO!

That's their default answer. Sometimes they are pretty stupid. Just contact them again and send them links to forum posts such as these here! Hope it will get fixed as I also wanted to buy this board (or the workstation version WX58BP) ...

OK, I've changed the motherboard to an ASUS P6T officially.    Same chipset (Intel X58), same board basically, different maker!   My system is good now, stable and no blue screens what so ever in a week.    UAD-1 and AIO seem happy, my Nuendo 4 is running without hickups.   So, looks like there's a bug in the DX58SO motherboard (and/or BIOS).   I wonder how did Intel screw up this bad!   Oh well...

I just opened up a case at Intel a minute ago with an Agent.   They had nothing on that motherboard on file.   I sent them all the problems we're bitching about (with web links).    Let's hope they're gonna send us a BIOS fix soon!   I'll keep you guys updated.

So everything?s fine with ASUS i7 boards...

I?m planning to buy a HDSPe AIO board, but first I would like to know if there is any incompatibility with my system:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P (Rev. 1.0).
Processor: Intel i7 920
Windows 7 64 bits + Cubase 5.1.1

Do these HDSPe AIO run fine on Gigabyte boards?.

Regards,
Martin

Maybe a thread about motherboard compatibility should be made sticky?

It would save a lot of people a lot of time...

Metheny wrote:

So everything?s fine with ASUS i7 boards...

I?m planning to buy a HDSPe AIO board, but first I would like to know if there is any incompatibility with my system:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P (Rev. 1.0).
Processor: Intel i7 920
Windows 7 64 bits + Cubase 5.1.1

Do these HDSPe AIO run fine on Gigabyte boards?.

Regards,
Martin

Hi Martin,
Have a look to my post
I'm working with Gygabyte motherboards (EX58-U4 & UD5), i7 920, 12G RAM. It seems there is some incompability with RME PCIe driver and Windows 7 x64...

Khorus wrote:

I just opened up a case at Intel a minute ago with an Agent.   They had nothing on that motherboard on file.   I sent them all the problems we're bitching about (with web links).    Let's hope they're gonna send us a BIOS fix soon!   I'll keep you guys updated.

There's a new BIOS available for the Intel DX58SO: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ … rodId=3018

BIOS Version 5020 - SOX5810J.86A.5020.2010.0224.0938

About This Release:
? February 24, 2010
? SATA RAID Option ROM: 8.9.0.1023
? LAN Option ROM: Intel(R) Boot Agent PXE GE v1.3.24
? LAN Option ROM: Intel(R) Boot Agent PXE Base Code (PXE-2.1 build 086)

New Fixes/Features:
? Added support for Intel?s 6-core desktop processor, codenamed ?Gulftown?.
? Fixed watchdog timer and host clock display issues for XTU2.
? Fixed issue that was causing IFlash and Express BIOS Update to fail on subsequent flash updates.
? Reduced pre-video boot time by about 7 seconds.
? Added support to check the IOH stepping and if it is a B2 or earlier then set ?QPI Power Management? default setting to disabled and if it is a B3 or later then set the default to enabled.
? Fixed setup option default setting for CPU C-States to be enabled and IMON to be disabled.
? Fixed issue with watchdog timer when running in the operating system and changing from one processor to another.
? Fixed XMP related issues:
o When an XMP profile was selected the host clock was unchangeable.
o When selecting Automatic mode the Uncore Multiplier was being set to 22 instead of the proper system default.
o When selecting Manual mode the minimum supported ratio between Memory Ratio and the Uncore Multiplier will be used based on the processor installed.
? Fixed issue where the PCIe Compliance bit was being set incorrectly causing Secondary Boot Request to cause some cards to fail to train correctly.
? Set VT to be enabled by default.
? Fixed issue preventing greater than 160 for the Host Clock.

Someone can try it with a RME HDSPe card?

14 (edited by lionheart 2010-03-07 02:15:34)

Just put together a Pc with Raydat and Intel DP55KG.. It's also one of the Extreme mainboards from Intel.
So far it seems to work ok with windows7 and Samplitude.. But when i try to open one of my mixes from
my earlier setup (win xp) i get a bluescreen:-/
This can also be because of my two uad1 cards.. If you are interested i can follow up this thread.

I have a feeling there will be alot of tweaking in the next day's to come:-)

?yvind

15 (edited by CosmicD 2010-03-16 21:09:09)

Hello,

Next week i'm planning to upgrade to a 64bit workstation with an AIO card. It's good that I look at this forum before I set myself up for a surprise.

I'm planning to buy this mobo:
http://global.msi.eu/index.php?func=pro … incat_no=1

And installing an i7 2.8 ghz cpu.

Do you think it will produce problems like described above ? Perhaps I should just change to a P6T-SE asus board to avoid the trouble alltogether...

howdy, just as a side note, I stopped this problem happening on the ASUS Z8NA-D6C by disabling ASPM on the pci-e bus. Might werk for u other cpu hungry types (dual 1366) & on other mobos too.

Its good i just read this. Getting ready to up grade to a GA-X58A-UD7 mother board with the 890x.
Sounds like there maybe problems with this group of motherboards. Let us know what you discover.

So what about this  evga SR2-classified with dual xeon 5680. any reason that anyone know that this would not work. Its new kinda of stepping out on limb. Any thoughts.

Hi all,
I can share my experience for saying that HDSPe AIO is working well in my X58 setup.
0) Windows 7 Ultimate X64, fresly installed.
1) Motherboard Gigabyte EX58-UD5 with i7 920 BIOS F12
2) ATI radeon 5870
3) Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Network Interface
4) 3ware 9650 PCIe RAID card

I have inserted 2) + 3) + 4) + HDSPe in the PCIe 2.0 slots directly connected to X58 chip and for now I'm not noticing any noise or other issues in playback. I've not done a recording test, but when I play a file with foobar2000 + ASIO (256 Buffer size) the latency is under 200 micros, measured with DPC Latency Checker.

As it is already said for other motherboard, for this setup It is mandatory DISABLING in the BIOS the following options:

CPU Enhanced halt (C1E)
C3/C6/C7 State Support
CPU Thermal Monitor

I've found that for further reducing interferencies, It is useful also to tweak the following item in Windows 7:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38085616@N08/4527944858/

I hope It can be useful.
Have a nice day,
Stefano

20 (edited by Dandruff 2010-04-23 09:27:03)

Any news with the latest BIOS 5200 for the Intel DX58SO?

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ … rodId=3018

BIOS Version 5200 - SOX5810J.86A.5200.2010.0414.1420

About This Release:
? April 14, 2010
? LAN Option ROM: Intel(R) Boot Agent PXE GE v1.3.51

New Fixes/Features:
? Fixed issue where watchdog timeout in operating system is not setting defaults.
? Fixed issue where operating system fails to resume from hibernation when user enters BIOS Setup during POST.
? Fixed issue where setting the Host Clock to 133 (default of 135) would hang the system.
? Added check to only display logo that is less than or equal to supported resolution 1024x768.
? Fixed issue where UEFI bootable devices are not recognized when AHCI/RAID is enabled.
? Added workaround for issue where system would hang just before INT19 when there is a large amount of USB traffic.
? Fixed issue where USB keyboard/mouse is not detected when UEFI boot is enabled.
? Added support allowing tRFC to be set to 140.
? Fixed setup display issue with 2.25 TB hard disk.
? Fixed issue where the Intel? Integrator Toolkit Map file contains features not supported on the board.
? Fixed Performance Status display with certain processors showing wrong multipliers.
? Fixed issue where string in BIOS does not match board silk screening (Processor vs CPU).
? Updated processor support.

BIOS Version 5112 - SOX5810J.86A.5112.2010.0316.1030

About This Release:
? March 16, 2010
? LAN Option ROM: Intel(R) Boot Agent PXE GE v1.3.51

New Fixes/Features:
? Fixed system hang issue when programming host clock to 133.
? Improved WatchDog handling.
? Resolved issue where ITK Map file contains features not supported on the board.
? Removed display of POST code 0x70 on SMM entry.
? Updated PXE UNDI to latest version 1.3.51.

Hi all,
if it can be useful I have managed to successfully use a HDSPe (PCI express flavour) card in combination with a Intel DX58SO motherboard.
I cannot say that it is a complete success because the DX58SO that I'm using is the latest hardware revision -702, so I cannot speak for the previous ones.
I have installed the latest BIOS 5390
I have disabled all BIOS options related to processor C-states, QPI power management, L0 and L1 PCIe states ( PCIe power management options).
I have installed the hdspe soundcard in the highest PCIe slot, i.e. the one with 4 lanes driven by X58 IOH.
The system is Windows 7 64 bit
The soundcard works just fine, there is some almost inudible noise through headphones but this is the same behavior with all the motherboards I've tested.

All the Best.
Stefano

Thanks!

Hello,
I resume this very old thread just to inform you that after almost four (4) years from its launch on the market, the mainboard Intel DX58SO got a firmware fix that solved a long standing bug preventing a RME hdsp AIO card to be installed on the 1X PCIe slots.
This fix occured with the latest BIOS 5599 (05/29/2012).
This fix is interesting because has also exposed and isolated an issue, which IMHO is not a mainboard bug but a soundcard bug: the soundcardcard seems not to support PCIe ASPM L0 and L1 states. With the soundcard installed, if I enable this states in the BIOS the system freezes.
To recap, with the latest BIOS the system is rock solid with the soundcard installed in every PCIe slot, except if I enable PCIe ASPM in the BIOS.
My SO in W7 x64 and I have a hdsp AIO Hardware Revision 12.
Can RME Engineering Team please consider taking a look to this issue?
Kind Regards,
Stefano

Thanks for the feedback.
We generally recommend to deactivate ASPM, there is no reason for it on an audio system and it often causes problems.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

This known incompatibility is hardware-based and can not be influenced by us.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Daniel and Mathias.

@Mathias: do you mean that this is a well-know behavior of the PCIe controller installed on the  soundcard so that RME cannot change how it works, correct?

Kind Regards,
Stefano

Correct.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello,
I drop a line only to inform that the hdsp AIO, with the just intalled version 13 firmware, finally supports PCIe ASPM L0 and L1 states, on Intel DX58SO motherboard. No more crashes, so no need to disable this power management features in BIOS. No idea of the impact on the latency, but at least now all the hardware works using all its capabilities.
I'm using Windows 8 x64.
Regards,
Stefano