Topic: rme babyface and poly evolver help!

hey rme users!
   I have a rme babyface conneceted to my macbook pro 13" running ableton live 8.  I'm trying to record my dave smith poly evolver to an audio track in ableton but i get a really low signal.  I have the evolved left and right stereo output connected xlr to the line out l/r.  When i try to record  on the PEK with the master volume all the way up i get a low signal in ableton when recording to an audio track.  I have to crank up the gain in ableton just to hear it.   If i crank the gain on total mix L/R AN  1 and 2 gain is set to +30 i can get a fairly good signal on ableton however it sounds distorted and quality sounds kind of muddy.   Also when the gain is at +30 it gets kind of hissy.  Am i doing something wrong? Or can i get a  louder signal from my poly evolver without boosting gains?

Thanks in advance,
Lance

Re: rme babyface and poly evolver help!

Hi Lance,

The issue you are experiencing may be an impedance mismatch between your Poly Evolver and the Babyface. Read the the Paul White article in SOS entitled "The Importance of Impedance" located at

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_ar … dance.html

Incorporating a Radial JDI Duplex or equivalent quality passive D.I. box between the Evolver outputs and the Babyface balanced inputs may solve this.

best regards,
Blair Francey
Fireface 802/ARC USB; HDSP Multiface x 2; 2023 AMD Windows 10 Custom PC

Thank you for the reply!  So what you are saying since im plugging my synth straight into the babyface the im not gettig a perfect match audio so i would need a di box to fix this dilemma?

Hi Dayla,

I'm suggesting this is the first thing you look at. The article I mentioned summarizes that "the ideal setup here is when the source impedance is significantly lower than the load impedance, ideally by a factor of 10 or greater" I t also mentions that audivble distortion is one of the symptoms of this problem. Which Babyface input(s) have you connected your poly evolver to?

best regards,
Blair Francey
Fireface 802/ARC USB; HDSP Multiface x 2; 2023 AMD Windows 10 Custom PC