Topic: Can't run ASIO @ 96k / Drops ASIO frames

Any help is appreciated!

I got a new PC from PC Audio Labs (specs below).  Using an RME HDSP AES-32, I can not record at 96k.  Even using internal clock, I get dropped ASIO frames and stutter audio that sounds like its in a stutter-metallic-echo.   Host is Sequoia 12 (32-bit)  on Win 7 64-bit.  The Windows audio sounds are all set to OFF and the RME is not listed in the Windows Sound Manager (per the tips listed at the end of the RME manual).

I have the latest Firmware and Driver for HDSP AES-32.   Please help!  I've written to Synthax but have not heard back.   

Processor: 3.30GHz Intel® Core™ i5-2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard
Memory: 8GB DDR3-1333 Dual Channel (4 x 2GB)
Graphics: Dual Display Graphics Card (HD5450)
----
Optical Drive: Samsung 22x CD/DVD Dual Layer Burner
CD/DVD Software: Nero 9 Essentials
----
Primary Drive: 500GB SATA2 (7200rpm : 16MB cache)
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
----
Audio Drive: 500GB SATA2 (7200rpm : 16MB cache)

Chief Mastering Engineer, Treelady Studios
Senior Contributor, Tape Op Magazine

Re: Can't run ASIO @ 96k / Drops ASIO frames

What buffer size? Don't forget, buffers are effectively cut in half when using double speed (88.2/96k) sample rate.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by Treelady 2012-06-20 17:40:31)

Buffer is set to 4096.    This is a two track stereo file going out and coming back.  I'm not exactly taxing the system.  And I used to do this all day all night with my old (pre-i-series) Intel on Win 32-bit.

Driver and firmware version?

I believe this board is using bridged PCI, that can contribute to problems in higher bandwidth situations. Did you ask PCAL if this board is supposed to work fine with PCI cards?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks, Jeff,

Driver is 3.27
Firmware is 234

PCAL said PCI cards are fine and to check with Sythax/RME.

The current thinking is Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard (rev 3) does not support 96k on the PCI slots.  More to follow.

As of this writing here is what we found:

I was able to play sessions at 96k using a PCI AES-32, but could not record back into the same session.  (So, I guess you could mix if you didn't use outboard gear).  But I was unable to record at 96k using the PCI card with this Gigabyte motherboard.   44.1k and 48k worked without incident.

I installed a PCIe RME AIO card, and was able to play and record at 96k, 48k, and 44.1k.  (I did not try other rates).   

Hope this helps anyone who also experiences this issue or anyone who wants to know if their PCI cards will work with Gigabyte z68 Motherboards.

Best,
GH