Topic: Can I connect a mixer's outputs to the XLR inputs on my Babyface?

I have a little samson 6 channel mixer for synths and I was wondering if  I could connect the outputs to my Babyface via TRS to XLR.  If I do this I assume that the gain should be set to 0?

Is there any chance of damage occurring to the babyface?

I will use the preamps of the babyface when recording vocals, but for ease of use during composition and practice I do not need the RME pre's.

Thank you!

2 (edited by Blair Francey 2012-06-27 22:51:08)

Re: Can I connect a mixer's outputs to the XLR inputs on my Babyface?

Hi Grovestand,

Congratulations on acquiring the Babyface, and yes you can connect the Samson outputs to the Babyface Inputs. Balanced cables are always the best choice. Read and follow the instructions in the latest Babyface Manual on Page 8 before using unbalanced cables.

As for gain settings, your Samson mixer output gain controls the signal level presented at the Babyface inputs independent of the TotalMix FX Input Channel Fader setting. This is described in detail on Page 42 of the Babyface Manual. Happy Tracking :-)

best regards,
Blair Francey
Fireface 802/ARC USB; HDSP Multiface x 2; 2023 AMD Windows 10 Custom PC

Thanks Blair!

I love the Babyface.  It is elegant and simple.  I am coming from a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (which I am still occasionally using when I need more than 2 inputs).

I was having an issue where the saffire would not allow the baby face to set the clock, but I have just set them both to 48kHz which is fine for my purposes and I am no longer having this problem.

Hmm...  Even set on 48000kHz with a buffer size of 128 in Ableton Live I get a click/pop sound every 2 minutes.  With a buffer of 256 it becomes incredibly static filled.

This is a little frustrating.  It's just a small click.  I will check and see if I can recreate it in Logic.

Two devices via ADAT can not be set to '48 kHz' (means both are clock master) at the same time - click.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

But I've disconnected my Saffire Pro 40 from the optical input of the Babyface and it's still happening.

Then the click every two minutes is caused by something on your computer. Search this forum, lots of possible culprits.
Start with Task Manager (CPU load) and DPC Latency Checker.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That seems highly unlikely to me, as it is a 2011 quad core Mac mini server with 16GB of RAM and a brand new installation of Lion.  The only programs installed are ableton, logic, maschine, a u-he plugin, Arturia mini-moog, and logmein.

The CPU is not being taxed. And the problem occurs in logic, ableton, or maschine.  Regardless of the sound source.

Grovestand wrote:

That seems highly unlikely to me, as it is a 2011 quad core Mac mini server with 16GB of RAM and a brand new installation of Lion.  The only programs installed are ableton, logic, maschine, a u-he plugin, Arturia mini-moog, and logmein.

The CPU is not being taxed. And the problem occurs in logic, ableton, or maschine.  Regardless of the sound source.

Oh and the RME drivers.

I do have a number of USB devices plugged in like an axiom 25, maschine, and a few hard drives.

When I get home I will try running the computer with nothing plugged into it except for the RME.

Could Bluetooth and wifi be causing issues?

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14692

Looks like maybe it's an incompatibility with the babyface and the Mac mini server 2011.  My fault for not looking at the approved systems page.  Looks like maybe I will be exchanging for a duet at least until some info comes out RE the retina MacBook pro and the babyface.

This file was recorded from the output of my speakers.  Nothing is plugged into the mac mini except the following:

RME Babyface (plugged directly into mac mini)
Minidisplayport->Displayport Dell u3011h monitor
Power cord
Apple wired keyboard (plugged directly into back of mac mini)
Kensington trackball (plugged into keyboard usb port)

I was running two tracks in Logic pro in mono.  The first track was a test oscillator and the second track was my SM58 pointed at my studio monitors.

Bluetooth and wifi were disabled.

The only things plugged into the RME are the SM58, and my two Yamaha HS80Ms.

Any ideas?

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/jake-grover/sine- … d-artifact[/SOUNDCLOUD]