1 (edited by geo316 2012-07-04 01:54:54)

Topic: hdsp with pci - pcie adapter

I have an old v1 multiface (without front volume control!) and PCI hdsp card but now need to buy/build a new computer. Of course everything is PCIE now, but I don't want to upgrade the card. Are there any issues with using one of those PCI to PCIE adapters - like increased latency or other performance decrease?

TIA

George

2 (edited by undertone 2012-07-04 02:44:43)

Re: hdsp with pci - pcie adapter

Some have reported the StarTech card as working, but it's unsupported by RME and it causes problem in 64-bit machines. Read this review by someone on Amazon who specifically tried to use it with an RME PCI card. It's pretty much unpredictable. There are many posts both here and on Gearslutz about this and there's no guarantees they will work on your system. Even some motherboards have worked and then stopped working because the manufacturer changed the PCI to PCIe bridge chip in later iterations of the motherboards. The safest bet is to move on to a true PCIe card.

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

Undertone,

I saw that review earlier, but since Googling didnt turn up (for me) any other really bad reports I wondered if it worked for most folks... and even if it works, again I ask - are there any perfomance hits because of the adapter?

I'm a poor boy who was forced to upgrade his computer and UAD card... I can't pony up $500 bucks for a new HDSP right now... that's why I'm asking...

Thx!

4 (edited by undertone 2012-07-04 12:29:29)

I hear you: I hated the idea too of spending money for no performance advantage whatsoever, just to comply to a hardware change...

Well it has been known to work, read here. And here's a longer discussion on the possible issues of using PCI to PCIe bridges.

In the end it's a $50 gamble... you might want to contact the poster in the first thread and see how's he getting on. His mobo chipset is the older X58; newer ones may not fare so well.

Undertone, thanks for taking the time to post the links.

As you summed up so nicely: "spending money for no performance advantage whatsoever, just to comply to a hardware change..." really stinks...

Perhaps RME can consider offering upgrade pricing to help guys and gals like me stay in the family...

Wishful thinking...

We are not involved in your hardware update, nor did we force you to do so. And we don't stink, we all use a good antiperspirant.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

geo316 wrote:

Of course everything is PCIE now

Of course this is simply not correct. Please do some more research and then reconsider the situation.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

geo316 wrote:

I have an old v1 multiface (without front volume control!) and PCI hdsp card but now need to buy/build a new computer. Of course everything is PCIE now, but I don't want to upgrade the card. Are there any issues with using one of those PCI to PCIE adapters - like increased latency or other performance decrease?

TIA

George

Still a reasonable number of mother boards with a PCI slot. I have a gigabyte P67 board with my Multiface I/HDSP card. Works great.

Isaac P

Consider yourself lucky! Multi and digiface owners can keep their hardware and simply swap the host card if needed. No such luck for hdsp9652 or 9632 (and  others) owners.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

Consider yourself lucky! Multi and digiface owners can keep their hardware and simply swap the host card if needed. No such luck for hdsp9652 or 9632 (and  others) owners.

And also: how many manufacturers have offered you Grade A support for a > 10-year old card lately? That in and of itself has been worth the prices RME asks for their products.

I've never met the RME staff in person, but apart from the gratitude I would like to express for their exceptional support, I stand comforted in the knowledge that if I ever do, the experience will be pleasant now knowing that they all use a good antiperspirant.

wink