Topic: HDSPe PCI not being recognized in Win 7

I have a brand new Dell XPS 8500 / i7 Ivy Bridge / 16 gigs Ram / Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I own the original Multiface w PCI interface. As the new machine has only PCIe slots I purchased the HDSPe PCI interface (hardware rev 1.2).

As the subject says, Windows is not detecting the card after it has been installed and the machine booted up.  I saw the sticky in the forum about issues with older cards and am not sure if this card is current. Not sure what to do at this point

Regards
Denis Salois

Re: HDSPe PCI not being recognized in Win 7

Reading the correct sticky? ;-)

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7348

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for your response, I had read your link already.  The problem is that the card is not being seen by Windows, ie. the new hardward wizard does not start on boot up and the card is nowhere to be found in device manager.

I've tried the card in all 3 slots in the machine with the same result.  Any suggestions?

Regards
Denis

No wizard in W7... Can you test the card in another PC?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I'm afraid I don't have a machine with PCIe slots available to me ... anything else I can try?

Check for PCIe power saving options in the BIOS (ASPM). If not available, there may be no immediate solution. We've seen several Dells with similar issues, which would not work with PCIe cards.

But that does not rule out a problem/defect of the card as such - that's why a test on another system would be helpful.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I'll check the bios settings when I get home, failing that, I will return the card to the store where I got it and exchange it for another interface, perhaps a USB-based solution ... have there been any problems with USB based systems on Dell machines that you're aware of?

Thanks
Denis

Not as far as I know... A UC or UCX would be a good alternative - or even a Babyface.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I had a similar problem: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13052
The card WAS being detected, but it wasn't located where I thought it would be. Is this the same issue as yours?

No, not the same thing as what I'm experiencing - the card is not being detected whatsoever and is not showing up anywhere in device manager.

11 (edited by epu 2012-07-13 11:42:11)

Had same problem with Dell Optiplex 990 and RME HDSPe AES. http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=68088. Conclusion from Dell-support:  PCIe slots is not meant to be used for Audiocards only Graphics !

If Dell was right, then we would have to stop selling all our PCIe cards...
Fact is that esp. the Dell Optiplex systems have shown to be extremely problematic to the point of being unusuable with PCIe audio cards...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME