Topic: how to connect Micstasy, dangerous d-box and HDSPe

Micstasy, dangerous d-box and HDSPe
I'm confused connecting these gears.
what HDSPe pci e card do I need to connect these?

Could you please show me all the cables that I would need in case of getting each different HDSPe?

Re: how to connect Micstasy, dangerous d-box and HDSPe

Do you want to use the d-box for 8-channel summing and/or stereo monitoring? The Micstasy connects to the HDSPe RayDAT or AIO, but in both cases you need another 8-channel ADAT DA converter to feed the summing inputs of the d-box with analog signals. This could be an ADI-8 QS.

best regards
Knut

Sorry, I thought we could connect the 8 channel line outputs of Micstasy to Summing input(DB25) of the D-Box. so that using it

for summing and also monitoring.  but since this is just AD, then what are these 8 outputs of Micstasy for? what signals are they sending out? are these digital signals?

if I give up getting a summing box, and get ADI-8QS and Micstasy, How could I connect studio monitors and headphones?

Should I also get any unit for monitoring (such as D-Box) for this case anyway?

How do people generally set up gears when using ADI-8QS and Micstasy?

Thank you for your reply.

but since this is just AD, then what are these 8 outputs of Micstasy for? what signals are they sending out? are these digital signals?

The Micstasy is - besides a high-end mic preamp - an 8-Channel AD converter. The XLR outputs on the back carry the analog preamp signals (8 x analog line outputs with up to +27 dBu level).

With the MADI option card installed, the Micstasy provides the ability of 8 channels being used as digital return path, sending audio via the MADI output to the Micstasy's ADAT and AES outputs. For example stage and studio monitors can be fed digitally from the Micstasy. Or you can connect an 8-channel DA converter (like the QSM) to the digital outputs. In this case the Micstasy + DA converter can work as 8-channel AD/DA solution.

if I give up getting a summing box, and get ADI-8QS and Micstasy, How could I connect studio monitors and headphones?

With both you can use the summing box. The analog D-sub25 output of the QS (8-channels) connects perfectly to the d-box input (8 channels). If you choose the RayDAT, the AES/EBU or SPDIF output can deliver the signal for the headphone output of the d-box.

Even without the summing box, the QS already delivers all outputs for main and headphone monitoring.

For the PCI express card:
- HDSPe MADI FX (390 channels), 3 x MADI I/O + AES/EBU I/O (d-box monitoring) + analog stereo monitoring
- HDSPe MADI (128 channels), 1 x MADI I/O + analog stereo monitoring
- HDSPe RayDAT (72 channels), 4 x ADAT I/O (d-box monitoring) + AES/EBU + SPDIF
- HDSPe AES (32 channels), 8 x AES/EBU I/O

A combination of Micstasy + QS + HDSPe MADI (FX) + summing box would be the most powerful setup, but also the most expensive one. E. g. the german Principal studios using this combination. MADI cards in every computer, Micstasys for recording and QS for monitoring. Mixing is done nearly completely in-the-box.

The setup with RayDAT + Micstasy + QS + summing box comes a little bit cheaper. The cabling is done with ADAT.

best regards
Knut

5 (edited by steve277 2012-07-17 20:11:08)

=================================================================================
"With the MADI option card installed, the Micstasy provides the ability of 8 channels being used as digital return path, sending audio via the MADI output to the Micstasy's ADAT and AES outputs. For example stage and studio monitors can be fed digitally from the Micstasy."
==============================================================================

Could you explain this more? how can digital signals connect to stage and studio monitors? digital return path?

============================================================================
  "Even without the summing box, the QS already delivers all outputs for main and headphone monitoring."
=========================================================================

You mean by connecting monitors and headphones to analog outputs of ADI QS? 

I'm also thinking about just geting Misctasy without MADI option and UCX.
  Isn't  it possible sending 8 channels through ADAT out of Micstasy to UCX? or Even cheaper Micstasy and ADI-2 through ADAT?
It seems that ADI-2 has a better DA than UCX.
I don't think I have enough budget to get QS and also D-box.,,

Could you explain this more? how can digital signals connect to stage and studio monitors? digital return path?

There are monitors with digital inputs on the market. Via the MADI input of the Micstasy it's possible to send 8 channels from the computer to the digital AES/EBU and ADAT outputs. This makes the Micstasy not only a mic preamp and AD converter, but also a digital format output converter.

You mean by connecting monitors and headphones to analog outputs of ADI QS?

Yes. For the headphones a headphone dual-mono-to-stereo-connector or a headphone preamp is necessary.

Isn't  it possible sending 8 channels through ADAT out of Micstasy to UCX?

Yes. But it's possible to use only 4 channels of the Micstasy with 96 kHz (SMUX).

or Even cheaper Micstasy and ADI-2 through ADAT?

No. The ADI-2 is a 2-channel box.

best regards
Knut

========================================================
Isn't  it possible sending 8 channels through ADAT out of Micstasy to UCX?

Yes. But it's possible to use only 4 channels of the Micstasy with 96 kHz (SMUX).
=======================================================

with UFX? using AES or 8 line level output of Micstasy to UFX AES in / analog audio input?

Could you please explain how SMUX and SMUX4 are different? thanks.

UFX with 2 x ADAT I/O = 2 x 4 inputs up to 96 kHz or 2 x 2 inputs up to 192 kHz.

S/MUX: Since the ADAT hardware interface is limited to Single Speed, the Double Wire method is used for sample rates up to 96 kHz, but usually referred to as S/MUX (Sample Multiplexing). An ADAT port supports four channels this way.
S/MUX4: The Quad Wire method allows to transmit two channels at up to 192 kHz via ADAT.
The method is referred to as S/MUX4. All conversions are lossless. The existing samples are just spread or re-united between the channels.

SMUX = up to 96 kHz
SMUX4 = up to 192 kHz

best regards
Knut