Topic: Sudden problems with FF800 on laptop

Hello,

I've got problems to keep an FF800 running with my laptop, Win 7 64 bit. Been through a lots of troubleshooting already.

The symptom: host led toggles on/off, TotalMix meters go wild then...

Here's what I already tried without success:
- changing FW driver to default instead of alt/legacy
- using two different cables (brand new)
- flash update (though current version was already installed)
- latest driver (anyway)
- complete fresh install of windows 7 incl. small tweaks for audio use/changing to alt/legacy FW driver (this seemed to cure the problem but then it came back again...)

The Fireface itself works absolutely correct on my desktop, so it did with the laptop for 3 years. I could assume it's a Windows problem but I have another FF800 which works properly with the laptop still!
So I can neither believe that the Fireface is damaged nor that Windows creates the mess.

Any ideas anyone? Gonna test further...

2 (edited by marQs 2012-04-23 23:16:21)

Re: Sudden problems with FF800 on laptop

Update: possibly one of the brand new Belkins FW 6 to 4 pin cables is faulty. Tested the other FF right again with the laptop - it was recognized but the host led was lit. Changed the cable again - worked. So does it on my laptop now.

Well, the other (now faulty) cable was all day long working too. So if anything comes to your mind what else could be a problem I just don't see, feel free to let me know :-)

Update of the update: troubles are back...

Thanx,

marQs

... still random behaviour. Works for hours - crashes - works - crashes and so on.

Still looking for an idea where to tweak!

The problem still persists. May please anyone talk to me and give me an idea of what to do to get back to a reliable system state!

Got laptop + FF800 running all day long. All is well for hours 'till the host led gets lit again or starts flashing randomly. As stated above, it's working perfect with my desktop, so I can't consider the Fireface as damaged.

Thanks for every hint!

The problem with such random issues is that they are very hard to reproduce, if at all...
The HOST LED lighting up indicates an issue with the physical FW connection. This isn't something that can be "tweaked", really.

Please provide more details about the laptop.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

6 (edited by marQs 2012-04-27 13:18:56)

Nice to hear something!

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro P 300 (with no TI, but unspecific OHCI compilant FW controller onboard). I also suspected the troubles there. My other FF works with the laptop troublefree which is somehow irritating or means the laptop is not the problem. Both FFs have worked for the last three years with this machine.

I'm willing to add a FW-Express-Card as the next idea. Is there a recommendation? What about Exsys EX-6701, TI-chip inside, around € 40...?!?

I can confirm now that the Exsys EX-6701 Firewire Express Card is working very well :-) Just in case someone else has similar problem like I did...