Topic: BoBs and ribbon cable!

Just took delivery of two BoB 16 I/Os. I unclipped one BoB to fold over and there it was! Ribbon cable! What is the logic of using what seems to be cheap, unshielded ribbon cable in these breakout boxes?

I wanted a higher quality audio outcome, using sheathed connectors (XLR and DB25), from the fully active balanced outputs on my M-32DA than I did with the pseudo balanced outputs that use TRS connectors. To that end I have female Neutrik gold plated XLRs for Canare multi-core cable to the amplifiers, and Mogami DB25toDB25 to connect the M32DA to the BoBs. But, really what is the point if the quality outcome of these connectors and cables are reliant  on a length of cheap, unshielded ribbon cable that is not protected by the equivalent of a Faraday cage especially if the BoBs are folded?

What was RME thinking? Or is this some special 'touched-by-the-audio-God' ribbon cable?

Cheers,

Ian

Re: BoBs and ribbon cable!

solotibia wrote:

Just took delivery of two BoB 16 I/Os. I unclipped one BoB to fold over and there it was! Ribbon cable! What is the logic of using what seems to be cheap, unshielded ribbon cable in these breakout boxes?

I wanted a higher quality audio outcome, using sheathed connectors (XLR and DB25), from the fully active balanced outputs on my M-32DA than I did with the pseudo balanced outputs that use TRS connectors. To that end I have female Neutrik gold plated XLRs for Canare multi-core cable to the amplifiers, and Mogami DB25toDB25 to connect the M32DA to the BoBs. But, really what is the point if the quality outcome of these connectors and cables are reliant  on a length of cheap, unshielded ribbon cable that is not protected by the equivalent of a Faraday cage especially if the BoBs are folded?

What was RME thinking? Or is this some special 'touched-by-the-audio-God' ribbon cable?

Cheers,

Ian

I'm interested in your reasoning for TRS being pseudo balanced. Virtually every device I've every opened uses ribbon cable at some point.

Isaac P

Good point. It had occurred to me that maybe there is ribbon cable running from the circuit boards to the DB25s inside the M-32DA. However, if there are, then they would be much shorter than the lengths in the BoBs, and any ribbon cable in the M-32DA is enclosed by its metal case.

"My reasoning" for "pseudo" balanced?

From here

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_m32da.php

Under "Features":

The units have separated driver stages for the TRS and D-sub outputs. The servo-balanced TRS jacks will work up to +21 dBu.

Under "Technical Specifications"

Output DA: 1/4" TRS jack servo balanced, up to +21 dBu. 25 pin D-sub, balanced, up to +24 dBu

Servo = resistive balanced = pseudo balanced.

There are more references in the M-32DA manual.

Cheers,

Ian

Fully wrong. Servo = fully balanced with automatic level adaptation. THAT is mentioned in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So, what you're saying is that the TRS outputs have three opamps in a cross coupled servo circuit? However, that should deliver the full balanced output voltage. So why is there a 5dBu difference between these outputs and the fully balanced DB25 outputs? IME, this lower output level is usually as a consequence of resistive balanced where the signal is connected between pins 1 and 2 only. A resistor equal to the output impedance of the op amp driving pin 2 is connected between pins 1 and 3.

And what about that BoB ribbon cable?

Cheers,

Ian

solotibia wrote:

So, what you're saying is that the TRS outputs have three opamps in a cross coupled servo circuit?

Correct.

solotibia wrote:

However, that should deliver the full balanced output voltage.

You are welcome to prove that.

solotibia wrote:

I see no problem with that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
solotibia wrote:

So, what you're saying is that the TRS outputs have three opamps in a cross coupled servo circuit?

Correct.

Then I certainly stand corrected in RME's use of the term servo. My apologies. So often those who use the term servo also apply it to resistive 'pseudo' balanced given that this approach can also be described as adaptive in that one can safely shove a mono TRS in without massive degradation of the signal.

solotibia wrote:

However, that should deliver the full balanced output voltage.

You are welcome to prove that.

Thanks, but that will not be necessary given the path that I have now chosen to pursue with regard to the M-32DA outputs.

solotibia wrote:

I see no problem with that.

Well, I suppose what else could I have expected you to say? Which, of course, begs the question why did I even bother asking in this forum!? I was simply shocked.

I just hope that the combination of the sheathed connectors (DB25 and XLR), vs the TRS would provide me with a stable audio outcome when basically everything remains in the same connected state for months. My experience with TRS has been that they are not that suitable for long term connections. Better suited for old fashioned telephone switchboards and lots of volts and repeatedly plugged and unplugged. After all, the TRS tip was called, in those days, the 'magneto tip' for that's where many volts passed vs the relatively tiny volts in audio applications. But, I certainly comprehend the need for TRS in terms of the overall impact on the final form factor size of an audio device. I suppose my only question would be, than when dealing with a higher end device like the M-32DA, why weren't the SFF Lemo sheathed connectors used instead of TRS?

What I was also hoping for was a slight improvement in audio quality by undertaking this expense, and work. Not just a more stable audio output platform. The ribbon cable called that hope into serious question for me. The proof will be when it is all connected. The cables should arrive tomorrow, or Monday.

Cheers,

Ian

I am yet to implement the change to DB25 and BoBs as it is a reasonable amount of work (in terms of reterminating the 32 channels of cables to the amps) and discovering the BoBs ribbon cable still has me gobsmacked. Do you believe that there will be any improvement in the quality of my audio outcome with a move to the DB25s and the BoBs? Other than another 5dBu what do you think I would I gain?

Cheers,

Ian

In terms of audio quality, and when using balanced connections in both cases, there will be no difference.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you. You've saved me a lot of time!

Cheers,

Ian

Follow up question. Are there any issues with running with not connecting Pin 1 at the amplifier end (all amps connected to AC ground in a star ground topology) using the servo balanced connections?

Cheers,

Ian

Not recommended. Might work...check if you get hum and buzzing...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

"My preferred method is to connect cable shields at equipment outputs and not at equipment inputs."  A quote from this article  http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov02/a … on1102.asp so, the writer there contends the reverse in terms of hum and buzzing. This is how my installation is wired - so quiet (no hum, buzzing or any noise) that it is almost 'black' (but only with XLRs at the amp ends TRS at both ends was very unsatisfactory). Been that way for years now. The only outcome that I don't like is sometimes (but not always) there can be a creeping brightness across all channels. That is what keeps me working on this. I seem to recall (from an article I can no longer find) that the servo balanced arrangement prefers to 'see' a connected Pin 1 at both ends but that this was not the situation for normal balanced connections. Based on this, would the Pin 1 lifted-at-the-amp-end wiring approach be a complete non issue with the DB25 balanced outputs?

Cheers,

Ian

This seems to be the reason why the "Pin 1 Problem" exists:

Cable shields are essentially an extension of the shielding enclosure of equipment, and they should be connected directly to that shielding enclosure. To make equipment cheaper to build, manufacturers started connecting cable shields to the circuit board’s common trace, then took that trace to the chassis. The problem is that any voltage drop across the wiring that is common to both the shield current and the circuit’s path to ground will be injected into the audio circuitry.

Shield currents include the noise currents coupled into ground by power line filters, potential differences between “ground” at opposing ends of long cable runs, and the shield acting as an antenna, picking up RF dimmer noise and other radio signals. It’s quite common to have AM, FM, and TV broadcast signals flowing on the shields of audio wiring.

Neil has observed that most RF interference to audio equipment is caused by a pin problem, and some recent research I’ve done has convinced me that he’s right.

From this document: http://www.rane.com/note165.html and more here http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm.

The writer is referring to Neil Muncy: an electroacoustic consultant and seasoned veteran of years of successful system design, chairs the AES Standards Committee (SC-05-05) working on this subject.

What Sound on Sound recommends, and what I have implemented is referred to as the "Last Best Way To Do This" in this document:

http://www.rane.com/note110.html

Cheers,

Ian

15 (edited by solotibia 2012-08-13 11:59:34)

Well, despite everything, I proceeded with the intellectually stimulating work of installing the BOBs, removing the TRS connectors, and soldering 32 Neutrik Gold XLRs onto the cables. It was worth it! There IS a difference, and it is NOT subtle. A much more natural sound, that possesses greater transparency. So, despite the more circuitous route for the signal (DBtoB25 then BOB [and their ribbon cables!], then XLR) compared to the TRS outputs, it seems that there are greater compromises in the combination of adaptive active balanced and TRS than there is in normal active balanced. Very happy.

Cheers,

Ian

Update: Using these outputs the best sound (in my installation) is with Pin 1 connected at both ends (M-32DA and amplifier). Interestingly, the single Echo Audiofire 12 which continues to be used, has to be connected with Pin 1 not connected the amplifier end. The Echo use the servo or pseudo balanced outputs.

Cheers,

Ian

Virtual ground, please.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME