Topic: fireface UC midi cable connector

Is it me or is the midi cable connector pants?. It goes in but doesn't feel solid, its very wobbly and feel like it hasn't really gone all the way. I thought it was just mine but I have checked 2 or 3 now, all the same,  all feel like we are using the cable for the wrong box.

Re: fireface UC midi cable connector

IS MIDI working properly?

best regards,
Blair Francey
Fireface 802/ARC USB; HDSP Multiface x 2; 2023 AMD Windows 10 Custom PC

i'm feeling the same with my new UCX...
the midi works properly but i bought it to take for live performances, so i'm not very confidante that i can trust on that connection...

kind regards,
andré.

Use the hook on the back to secure the MIDI cable...or any cable to prevent it from being pulled out.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

i know it might sound stupid but can you explain the best way to do that? it's just passing the cable through the hook?
i try to find an explanation on the manual and over the internet and i couldn't find anything.

thank you,
kind regards,
andré.

phatmonkey wrote:

i know it might sound stupid but can you explain the best way to do that? it's just passing the cable through the hook?

Yes it is that simple. You will notice that it can no longer be pulled out of the jack.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

using the hook is all very well but can I ask why this cable has been designed to be ill fitting in the first place, was this an oversight or a design decision dictated by something we are not aware of?. The UC is a good solid box in every other way, this really lets it down. Yes, midi is working fine but it feels like it will be easy to damage as you alway end up trying to force it in further than it should go as it really does not fit properly at all.

To the best of my knowledge (please contribute if I'm mistaken) the MIDI connector has never been available with an integrated locking mechanism found on professional quality XLR connectors. The MIDI specification was defined by the MIDI Manufacturers Association (www.midi.org). Perhaps this question should be addressed directly to them. Not every manufacturer integrates a cable hook into the design of their equipment, including almost all premium quality analog devices and many top-of-the-line keyboards with MIDI and MIDI keyboard controllers.

If MIDI is working and you've restrained the cable with velcro or a cable tie then you are employing best professional practices successfully.

best regards,
Blair Francey
Fireface 802/ARC USB; HDSP Multiface x 2; 2023 AMD Windows 10 Custom PC

I think you misunderstand. We are talking about the connector at the back of the box, this is a propriety connector made by RME, the midi females are at the other end of this cable making it a sort of break out cable as it were. We are talking about the propriety end not the midi end. This end is extremely ill fitting and wobbles about like buggery, it never feels secure and is probably going to get damaged over time as you can never really tell it is properly in place.